Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirtazapine - side effects

Re: Mirtazapine - side effects

As far as I know it just increases the appetite - not that your body stores more fat or something. I think it's something to do with it stimulating or increasing a hormone, can't remember the name.

Plus I don't think it's one particular food type like carbs that it increases your appetite for, I think it's just an overall increased appetite.

What I've done it just rid my house of any unhealthy food (ok 99%), or just put it out of sight which really does help. Out of sight out of mind and all that.

I know the increased appetite is unwanted for most of us, but I don't really know what we can do, other than tackle it. Let's make it our mission!

Let's face it, we aren't actually hungry (presuming we're eating proper meals throughout the day), it's just our brain telling us we are...

I haven't overcome it yet, but I'm trying...

Hi i've been on 15mg Mirt for 10 wks and requested an increase as started to feel Low/odd, have taken 3 at 30mg feel a little more on edge,anxious than normal wondered if it was the increase or just me, is it true that 30mg are where the true benefits are with regards anxiety/depression?

Hi kite66

30-45mg is a thereputic dose...15mg is very low...it will take 2-4 weeks for the higher dose to really take effect though you may notice some improvement sooner. Mirtazipine really helped me so bear with it and you will get there.

Hope that helps.

Jo.xx

Thanks i will stick with it then :-)

For the most part I am finding Mirtazapine quite tolerable and more free of side effects than other meds. However the most unwanted side effect I have is the dreaded increased appetite. I'm finding it bizarre that after I've eaten a meal I am craving more food about half an hour later!! This is the most unwanted and at times tortuous side effect I am experiencing.

I know there's nothing to be done about this except to eat sensibly, not give in to cravings and exercise a little more. I am doing all these things... and am maintaining my current weight... but this hunger is so all consuming and uncomfortable. I do hope this passes with time.

Belle x

Well I'm on day 130 now (at 15mg) and I'm pleased to say yes, the cravings do go In fact I am now losing weight, though this is due also to willpower and exercise, so the extra weight I put on is now on the way off.

At the height of my food frenzy I was even getting out of bed to go and have hotdogs, chocolate, would munch through several packets of crisps, would have second and even third helpings at McDonalds, it really is quite funny looking back on it.

Still, I may be fatter, but I'm 100% happier!

I haven't given in to a food frenzy yet .. but it's early days

I'm so pleased you've posted that your food cravings went... because I don't think I could put up with this "hunger" indefinitely.

Belle x

Hi Belle,

Mine went too. I think you are doing really well to resist, so keep it up...I didnt have the will power you have and had to give in to it.

I gained weight but have managed to lose it now.

Jo.x

hi i been on mirtazapine now for 18 months 15 mg and i must say that takin the higher doses does make you more sleepy almost like a hangover in the morning and i am more nervous now than ever so back to the doctor tomorrow to ask for something else coz mine are just not working anymore x

First day for me, results so far very good, but I do have a voracious appetite suddenly.
    Regards
    Skybird

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information