Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorry if this upsets anyone

Sorry if this upsets anyone

Hi my name is Mike Hill and i'm returning to this forum after a couple of years during which i've managed to stop my panic attacks after 25 yrs of trying- i tried them all you name it beta blockers , seroxat , alcohol,weed and more.

I remember the reason i left was not because of the enormous support people offer in here but because the feeling of despair when i realised so many people seemed to accept that we have to live with panic (not cure it)by addicting ourselves to drugs or keep paying therapists for mixed results

What we need is a good dose of reality!! NMP recommends an iconic book by Susan Jeffers called Feel The Fear and do it anyway - i suggest everyone get a copy. This book was instrumental in me taking the first steps to recovery - it teaches a lot about self help but more importantly for me was the suggestion that we alone are repsonsible for everything that occurs in our life (including) attacks

Maybe hard to take but if you think about it , it does make sense - if we are obesely overweight or suffer from bronchial problems whose fault is it - did we stop eating all that junk over the years or stop smoking , did any one force us.

The book also helps tremendously in shutting up that brain chatterbox - you know the one that keeps telling us that we're ill, we're going to die etc

My point is that as we did something that started our attacks is'nt it therefore a logical extension that we are the only ones that can stop them by doing something instead of relying upon the wisdom of the medical industry - think about it , a multi billion industry of drug companies , doctors and therapists exists purely because we are told we have to live with panic not actually stop it - this is almost in my opinion akin to the Tobacco industry where now the sale of stop smoking products outstrips actual tobacco sales.

Do you yourselves a favour get the book (from the NMP amazon store as it helps fund this tremendous forum) put yourself in the right mindset to stop the attacks yourself as believe me no drug ever will ,it might be a small dosage now but it will get bigger .If your on SSRI's especially you will get more and more emotionless unable to experience the joys of life.

If therapy works for you great but there also a lot more programmes on the internet that have proven results , some of you might have seen this in the Dail Mail (UK paper)
    for instance

Go on do yourselves a favour you can stop stop panic you just have to take action

Regards
    Last edited by bottleblond; 22-03-11 at 19:18. Reason: Unsuitable link

Re: Sorry if this upsets anyone

Hi Mike your Daily mail link promotes C/L method .Here at NMP we dont approve of promoting him .Everything you need to learn to overcome your panic /anxiety is available here ,and doesnt cost the ammount this man and those like him charge .. Welcome back to the site BTW .sue x
    Last edited by suzy-sue; 22-03-11 at 23:34.

thx for the welcome

i was'nt promoting anything about Linden it was a story i read a few weeks ago.

Surely we have a responsibility to make people aware of any potential cure

I have pm'd you Mike

Lisa

Hi
    I also think the Linden method is a bad idea - money for nothing you can't get for free.

Mike, you're right about everything you've said, although to be honest, no doctor or therapist has ever encouraged me to live with panic/anxiety/depression. It's always been made clear to me that pills are a temporary patch to make me functional enough to help myself and CBT actively encourages people to fight against their problems in order to no longer suffer them.

I'm glad you're feeling better and sorry to hear that you were unable to get this help at first'! Sounds like you were getting bad advice. Great that you've got there in the end, though!

ok i have to agree on so many levels here. I'm still mildly anxious but i have over come majority of it alone with will power and learning what pushes its buttons ino it will go soon.

i don't take med and agree a lot on here are happy cruisingand happy to manage with anxieties i don't want to manage i won't to be free.

and i love no panic but why can't we advertise different methods its like its no panic way or nothing and if that was case why still suffering??

Ok, I'll bite - yes Mike, you have upset me, so a couple of points

Quote Originally Posted by mikegezhill View Post
    more importantly for me was the suggestion that we alone are repsonsible for everything that occurs in our life (including) attacks
    I can't really accept that I am responsible for eg the environment I was brought up in (not the physical environment), the fact that I have CFS/ME, the fact that my husband has MS ... all of which are major factors in my anxiety.

If your on SSRI's especially you will get more and more emotionless unable to experience the joys of life.
    I've heard this said a few times but can only speak for myself and say that after a total of something like seven years on Prozac/fluoxetine I can still experience a full range of emotions (I'm not addicted to them either).

It's always good hear about what has helped people but personally think it's wrong to suggest that there is only one way to tackle things and that the same works for everybody - different things work for different people.

I might get hold of a copy of Feel the Fear, however. I did read it years ago and obviously it didn't have a great impact but I'm always open to ideas and might give it another go.

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Quote Originally Posted by scaredstiff695 View Post
    ok i have to agree on so many levels here. I'm still mildly anxious but i have over come majority of it alone with will power and learning what pushes its buttons ino it will go soon.

i don't take med and agree a lot on here are happy cruisingand happy to manage with anxieties i don't want to manage i won't to be free.

and i love no panic but why can't we advertise different methods its like its no panic way or nothing and if that was case why still suffering??

Its" No more panic .". and you can always look on the internet for other things if you choose to .Its your anxiety you deal with it how you want .To say its this way or nothing is untrue .But you will find that particiuar method a rip off .Ok if you have plenty of spare cash to waste .feel free .You wont find anything different in it than you can read on here for free tho .This site doesnt promote money making cures .Im sure Nic is the best person to tell you why tho . sue

opinion not allowed on sorry no more panic now?

i suffered 9 years before i get help and was taught how to over come it properso don't act high and mighty.
    i don't spend money on methods never have and never will jumping to conclusions there.
    i just agree with point regarding meds and can't understand why people can't advertise help.

you haven't actually said why?
    if your making point do it properly don't just say rip off how do you no?
    i agree most probably are. but then i think meds mask the problem and don't help but that's my opinion and im entitled to that!

i have had great help from no panic but alp seen some people be very rude an harsh to some new people.
    why on earth do you need to get nic involved in a opin.
    o yeah that's right cos some of you are in a gang and tell tale if some one doesn't agree with what you think.
    its a helping and opinion site for anxiety etc
    so do that without being high and mighty
    and i won't apologie cosI'm not insulting no panic or nicola
    i had a opinion about a thread end of!!

Perhaps I can explain why we don't allow paid sites to be advertised on here and then clear things up for people.

Firstly I do not think someone offering a miracle cure to a sufferer should be allowed to advertise as such on here. There is no miracle cure!

Secondly if anything bad is said about Charles Linden I get threatened by him for libel etc so it is just not worth it to be honest. I have been down this route before and am not prepared to go down it again.

We had members buy his programme and they are still here asking for help so that says a lot in my opinion.

Thirdly we get affiliates signing up purely to make money out of advertising these sites and these people are preying on members who are looking for any instant cure.

Hope that clarifies it anyway.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information