Thread: Advice-New to Mirtazepine

Advice-New to Mirtazepine

I've been prescribed Mirtazepine after a breakdown as Citalopram no longer seemed to be effective. My doctor first switched me to escitalopram 20mg but that also proved ineffective. I'm currently weaning off the escitalopram (am now down to 5mg every 2 days, which has taken me 6 weeks) as I was cross-tapering to Mirtazepine. I started off on 15mg then after 10 days went up to 30mg which I've been on now for almost 4 weeks. I have noticed I feel calmer (am also taking Propranalol) and am sleeping and eating ok and have now managed to go back to work, but I feel very numb, almost like I'm an outsider looking in, and also feel irritable and have no libido whatsoever, I also feel that there's very little point to things at the moment. How long should it be before I should approach my doctor about this/feel more like myself? I saw him a week ago and he said to persevere as it takes time and see him in a month. Advice appreciated!

Re: Advice-New to Mirtazepine

I've been on it for nearly 10 years, up to 45mg, then back to 30, now in the process of reducing to 15. I would agree with your doctor, it does take time - it's great that it's given you what you need to get back to work, you may have to wait a few more months before you feel normal - whatever that is! Good luck and keep posting

Re: Advice-New to Mirtazepine

Hi,

I agree with the other Jo....I have been taking mirtazipine for just over a year now...initially 15mg up to 30mg for a few months and now on 15mg with a view to coming off soon. It did take around 6 weeks for me to really feel any true benefit and then months to really feel normal (thats if we ever actually feel normal) lol!!

I had 5 months off work when I was ill....started off on citalopram (which I had taken previously and had worked) but it didnt do the job so ended up mon mirtazipine and then I began to see light at the end of the tunnel. Its really good that you are at work as I know when I did go back it helped me with the rest of my recovery. Yes I have my "blips" but can manage through it and come out the other side and still continue at work, which is key for me as I find the distraction very important to me.

I would advice persevere and keep posting.

Jo.xx

Thread Information