Thread: returning to work - too soon?

returning to work - too soon?

hi guys
    just after some advice really. I have been off work for 7 weeks now and am due back to doctors this week to see how am going. Been on citalopram for just over 5 weeks. Have joined gym and addressed some stressors in my life. Feeling much more like myself although i am still extremely tired and suffering from headaches from time to time. I was suffering terribly with panic attacks and whole host of physical symptoms and appeared to have completely burnt myself out. My sleeping stopped to the point where i didnt sleep at all for 6 days! Thankfully am that tired i cam get to sleep fine now, but awake at 5am, worn out. So basically am just starting to enjoy my time off despite my low energy, is it wise to go back just yet? Talking about a phased return from mid april? I only work 18hrs but customer facing job role and quite intensive. Plus mum of 2 kids! Help! I would like to go back but feel really torn dont want to undo my hard work
    any advice appreciated
    Sue

Re: returning to work - too soon?

Hi Sued, I had two periods when I was off work for long period, one 10 weeks and the other 8 weeks. My issue was my job which burnt me out foreign travel under resources and high stress. I changed my job which resolved my problem. I'm saying your job is the cause but it could be a factor. In my case I knew when it was time and I had a period of just enjoying life without work, however when I went back it was a phased return and only on light duties for the first few weeks. The anxiety of going back each time was hard but slowly I developed a different attitude, until I left and changed the cause of my depression and anxiety. I guess my advice is you will know deep down when it's time, don't rush back but at the same time don't stay off too long that it becomes an issue going back. Take care.

thanks, i think my job is stressful regardless of what state your mind is in! i used to be able to switch off and think when am stronger i can! I have a few more weeks and have holidays planned once i go back so i think i will be ok. it feels right to go back when planned. I cpuld get to used to being a gym bunny, lunching with friends and getting my nails done! i have only felt like this the past few days or so tho - i will know when the time is right
    but thanks

Hi,

Having read both your posts I think you are ready to go back to work and I think it will help you continue with your recovery....you sound very positive about it all. Its good that you only work 18 hours and its also good that you are going back on a phased return.

I work full-time in a very stressful customer facing roll and a managerial position as well so I know how that can be. I think as long as you know your limits and take step when you feel any stressfull situations you will be fine.

Enjoy the rest of your time off before then and make the most of it and I wish you success with the return....think to yourself...onwards and upwards from here on!!!

TC

Jo.xx

thanks very much - i am positive but having a site like this is invaluable!

Thread Information