Thread: emetophobia

emetophobia

I have had emetophobia all my life and has always caused me problems but has got considerably worse since I had my first child 6 years ago. I am terrified of him coming home from school telling me one of his friends has been sick, then spending all night and following day worrying that he will be sick. When either of my children are sick I cant be in the same room and if its at night I end up sleeping downstairs. I am seeing a counsillor at the mo but dont know how much good its actually doing!
    If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Also could anyone let me know about the videos I have read about to help get over phobias.

Ta very much

Claire x

Hi Claire

I don't have this myself but these posts might help:

Emetophobia
    EXPOSURE THERAPY...
    To Emetophobia sufferers
    1st day CBT exposure for emetaphobia = scary
    A visit to the Doctors
    CBT for emetophobia my experiences...
    Emetaphobia 101

Have you had any therapy for this?

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Hi Claire,

I also have this phobia, this old post will give you sites that contain more information.

For emetophobia sufferers...

I have used a video as exposure. I think I've posted about it somewhere I'll see if I can find it. It worked really well for me (as gorrible as it was!) as I don't have a prolbem with seeing it on T.V or films anymore. Obviously in real life is still a different story but it has made trips to the cinema and watching Casualty a whole lot easier!

Here is the link to the site I bought it from. It is only about ten minutes long which is good because you know it will be over quite quickly, or even break it into smaller parts to make it easier. The first time I watched it I did so from the other side of my living room, with no sound and still had my hands over my eyes lol. I also only watched 2 minutes. Anyway, am waffling now, if you think I could help you further feel free to PM.

http://www.nopanic.org.uk/menu.htm

Good luck.

Tammy x

hey claire,
    i havent always been emetaphobic, but it all started when someone actually got sick on me, some complete stranger whom id never met. Then in that same month i saw a movie when vomiting was nonstop. At this time i was only 10. I guess the fear stuck with me and became this raging phobia. I guess im afraid to see a counsllour, or go to therapy cause i know they will just chove the phobia in my face, and make me watch videos, and look at pictures and stuff which i just cant handle, so if anyone has alternitave was to get this out of my life, please let RosieZozie know.

Zozie

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
    I have used a video as exposure. I think I've posted about it somewhere I'll see if I can find it. It worked really well for me (as gorrible as it was!) as I don't have a prolbem with seeing it on T.V or films anymore. Obviously in real life is still a different story but it has made trips to the cinema and watching Casualty a whole lot easier!
    <div align="right">Originally posted by tammyg - 09 April 2006 : 13:38:38</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Question.. Got any idea what to do after you can see visulisations of vomit on TV without getting freaked? That's where i'm at right now, i'm ok with it on tv. But that's about it!

Thread Information