Thread: Citalopram with Inositol

Citalopram with Inositol

Hello guys,

I've lurked on these forums for the past two months, but today I decided to sign up and make a post!

I got prescribed 20g Citalopram about 6 - 7 weeks ago to treat my depression and anxiety. After a few weeks of almost all the bad side effects (and with the help of PsychoPoet's Survival Guide) It finally lifted me out of the really bad depression I was experiencing, but I've noticed in the past few weeks I've had days where I've suffered from really bad anxiety, and other days where there's mild background anxiety, making it really hard for me to focus on getting anything done.

Today has been one of those days so after reading PsychoPoets guide, I bought some Inositol. I plan to take it around the periods that I have the bad days to see if it will relieve them.

I'm not sure if it will help much though, as the anxiety could be a side effect from the citalopram. If I'm taking one thing that's causing the anxiety is it possible to take something else and it be relieved?

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with taking Inositol while also taking Citalopram, and if so what were their experiences of doing that?

Re: Citalopram with Inositol

Hi mate, sorry I didn't spot this post earlier. I use inositol and citalopram together. In the old days I used to suffer from the squits if I took a lot of inositol and I used to feel very nauseous, but these days it has basically no negative effects. I do seem to notice a difference on days where I take inositol compared to days where I don't - I tend to feel calmer on inositol, whereas if I miss a dose I tend to wake up feeling anxious and "wired" - on the other hand there is little pattern to the good days and bad days when you are just starting to recover, so who knows?

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Hi PsychoPoet! So far all I've noticed is having very bad wind, which is something I can live with, and even sometimes brings me amusement!
    Would you feel the anxiety and the 'wired' feeling if you weren't taking the inositol or do you think that's caused by the lack of inositol?

The wired feeling is almost certainly down to the cit mate. I used to be loudly flatulent when I first took inositol, which was actually a plus, but it lasted only a day or two; I don't have much pump power. Also I've noticed that the stomach ache and diarrhea don't happen any more. I seem to have adapted to the inositol. I do occasionally wake up at 6am desperate for the toilet though.

There are no withdrawal symptoms because it's not addictive but I am noticing a correlation between not taking a teaspoonful at night, and waking up feeling a shiver of anxiety.

I too have been on this site for the last few weeks and must say I have found Psychopoet's (a fellow Rotherhamer, perhaps they put something in the water here!) Citalopram Guide much more helpful and reassuring than any visit to my GP.

I have been on 20mg of Citalopram for 3 weeks now and must say I have felt a lot worse than before I started the tablets. Severe nausea (lost 10lbs up to now), eating very little mainly sweet junk food but that's all I feel I can stomach. Anxiety worsened, can hardly get out of the house on my own, virtually no sleep and just getting out of bed is a daunting task but from Psychopoets's guide and other posts this seems par for the course so I am going to carry on regardless.

I have today been to Holland and Barrett for some powdered Inositol but could only get Choline and Inositol in tablet form so going to give those a whirl. Thank you

That puts paid to my theory that the internet will explode if two Rotherham people ever posted on the same forum.

You can get powder inositol from www.healthmonthly.co.uk.

Thanks for that.

So far so good Internet still working.

I feel like a failure but have made an executive decision to go back to my GP and ask to try Mirtazapine. Can't stand any more nausea (12lbs lighter today!) or sleepless nights on the Cit. Have been given 7 days supply of sleeping tablets which get me off to sleep fine but only for about 4 hours max.

Yesterday, felt so anxious that I could have done with putting a concrete slab on my head to stop me from climbing the walls.

Managed to go swimming this morning and then to the shops (pat on the back for me!) which is not something I've been able to do in quite a while. Here's hoping the mirz will have a better effect with more tolerable side effects.

So, along with the negative experiences, you are able to make decisions for yourself (about medication and going swimming) and you are able to get out into the world and do things you want to do. If that isn't a good sign, I don't know what is!

Can't believe how different I feel on the Mirtazapine. The improvement was instant; I am sleeping much better and my appetite is back with a vengeance. I am also going back to work in the not too distant future (and looking forward to it too!). Hope I'm not sounding too gushy and over the top. I know I have got a long way to go before I'm back to "normal" (if I ever was normal) and am going to start some therapy shortly.

I must admit that I have never felt so scared in my life when the anxiety attacks/depression came on and I know it's an old cliche, but until you've have first-hand experience of this illness you cannot understand how it grips you and how helpless and worthless you feel. Anyway enough of the gloom and doom. Best wishes to all and once again many thanks to Psychopoet for the great survival guide/posts.

Thread Information