Thread: Discontinuation or Not?

Discontinuation or Not?

Iv posted a couple of times but il give a brief explanation, I was on Cit for almost 7 years and i decided it was time to come off them last year, I reduced the dose slowly and took my last 2.5mg in november. Its been 20 weeks since stopping and i still feel awful. I had MRI and CT Scan and both came back normal, Iv had ECG, blood work and basically everything and all cam back normal. My GP now seems to think that its discontinuation Syndrome and that i should go back on Cit just to confirm diagnosis. I think she is a joke! ok lets say i go back on Cit and i do feel better then im stuck on them for life? Right now i have a real heavy head and when i move my eyes or head i get a weird feeling in my head its very hard to explain but it feels really off and this is what causes my anxiety to kick off. Its not a blip im actually depressed and very anxious because of the symptoms its so down hearting. My whole Balance mechanisms are messed up, I wake up with a hangover feeling everyday and i dont even drink (If i drink im drunk after 2 pints lol). 20 weeks seems like a long time but then i think my body has relied on this drug for 7 years so maybe 20 weeks isnt that long to have discontinuation?? I dont know but its making me feel so down. Just wish i could prove it was discontinuation without actually going back on Cit because i never thought id get off it.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Discontinuation or Not?

I had exactly the same symptoms you describe when I came off paroxetine after 7 years. The odd sensations and generally shit feeling you're getting are classic discontinuation symptoms. They might attenuate over time but it's notoriously difficult to predict unfortunately. I ended up back on another SSRI (sertraline).

It's a decision you need to weigh up and consider: I fully appreciate your sentiments regarding going back on it, and the long-term consequences, but my philosophy is that if they're helping to maintain my wellbeing then bugger it - I'd rather take meds for the rest of my life rather than feel as though I'm in the depths of a black hole.

Never Surrender, Comrade

hi, thanks for the reply. Its horrible isnt it i get times during the day were i feel ok and think im glad i havnt taken the Cit but its only for a few hours then bang! feel rubbish again just hope its not going to be like this for another 20 weeks or il have no choice but to go back on them cos i cant take feeling as bad as i do its like i have a real illness with the symptoms :-(

Sorry to hear you still feel bad Mike .This link has some true case historys about this happening http://priory.com/psych/panes.htm Sue x

thanks Sue, I feel horrible again today the weird thing is i sleep ok well i wake up a few times during the night but that seems to be my safe haven were the physical symptoms arnt grinding me down. Just wish there was something i could take to make it go away. This morning i have a dizzy type fealing its like when i move my eyes or head i get the feeling od dizzyness but the room doesnt actually spin it just kicks off the anxiety in my body its horrible.

Hi mate, if you weren't recovered from your anxiety/depression, why did you come off the medication?

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

I was recovered mate i felt strong enough to come off but since then the anxiety and depression has been at an all time high but its worse because of the symptoms, my face feels really numb as well. Its 100% the symptoms that are causing my anxiety and depression its a vicious circle. But i cant get my head round it still being the Cit causing this but on the other hand iv had almost every test and all come back normal.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Sue's link above is very informative. Reassure yourself (or try to anyway) that these symptoms AREN'T connected to, or indicative of, a serious illness, Mike. If you accept that then you should find the anxiety/depression will abate. Try to separate the physical symptoms from the emotional ones. You've put yourself under a lot of stress thinking the worst - which is understandable - but now all your tests have come back negative, I think you should move on.

If the physical/emotional symptoms continue and are intolerable, then I think going back to your doc and discussing resuming meds would be the way forward here.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thread Information