Thread: hysteroscopy

Exclamation hysteroscopy

Hi there, wondered if anyone has had a hysteroscopy, i have had irregular bleeding for over 20 years due to poly cystic ovaries but never really been a problem, then 2 years ago when I did bleed it was for about 3 weeks each time. The doctors sent me to Gynae who did a pipelle biopsy which only took 5 minutes and wasnt unpleasant at all. Had a few days spotting then the bleeding got heavier and I bleed constantly for 9 months and became anemic..well you would...gynae wouldnt see me whilst this was happening and told me to loose weight and the bleeding would stop, so I got a scan done privately which showed a thickened endometrium of 19mm, took this back to the doctors who finally referred my back to gynae, they did another scan which showed the same and said they wanted to do a hysteroscopy, this really freaked me out and although I want to know if I am ok I really cant bare the though of having it done, they offered to put me out but that is even worse. I know I need to have it done otherwise I am never going to put my mind at rest to know whether I have endometrial cancer or not, but I am convinced they did something to me when they did the biopsy last time thats why i bleed for so long after and i cant face that again and I am terrified of fainting which alot of info i have read said you can feel light headed. I just want to get this done and sometimes I think right lets do this but never at the time when the appointment is made so I end up cancelling it. I did have another scan done the other week and it showed the endometrium was only 10mm which is positive but the sonographer could'nt see everything she wanted to which she didnt tell me at the time, maybe if i moved around a bit it would have helped, but anyway now waiting for another appointment from the hospital to have another chat and sort out a date for the camera. If anyone has had this done and come out of it ok or any tips i would be extremley grateful.

Re: hysteroscopy

Hi karenjudy ive had one before and it was a little uncomfortable but not painful so have it done to put your mind at rest honestly ive had a biopsy without camera and one with camera and neither was bad just a few cramps x

thankyou for letting me know, cramps i can deal with, it just seems so invasive and of course i wouldnt be in control of the situation and that's what frightens me but you have been a great help, thank you

Having experienced one of these three times I can offer some advice. The first two I had they numbed my cervix with local anaethesia and although the injections were a bit painful in that they were short and sharp it was bearable. Once they are in the womb with the camera it is not too bad until the do the biopsy and that is like really bad period cramps but over with quickly.

The last one I had they said they no longer do the local injections as its quicker without Never ever again it was much more painful when they put clamps on my cervix than giving birth had been. I was begging for the injections but the Dr said she was already in with camera so would carry on. I thought it was me being a wimp until one of the nurses told me no one ever has it done a second time without the local injections and a friend of mine had same experience a year ago for same problem you have and she swore she would not have another one without a general anaethetic so forewarned is forearmed - insist on the local injections to your cervix and then the proceedure is a bit painful in short spells but bearable or even have the general anaethetic if you can.

I am telling you this as I so wished someone had told me about this before my last one as I would not have had to endure what I did and would have insisted on the local injections straight away.

Good luck and hope all is well.
    Last edited by countrygirl; 31-03-11 at 22:30. Reason: deleted first sentence as could have been taken wrong way

Hi countrygirl i suppose everyone is different has i had both mine without any numbing or anaesthetic and i was fine as i said only a few cramps x

Wow bronte who on earth was doing yours - every woman in britain would like to know!

I did not realise they actually put what look like crocodile clips on your cervix to keep it open - Dr showed me them before she started so assume it must all be down to how sensitive your cervix is.

I must tell my friend what you said as her language can only be described as saxon! when asked about her experience

I had the procedure and found it very painful. Ive got to have it done again to remove a polyp, but they are going to give me an injection, hopefully with this it will be a bit less painful .

Thread Information