Thread: University and Travel Phobia

University and Travel Phobia

Hello all, this will be my first thread and I feel quite uncomfortable about what to say. I'm twenty years old, I first started experiencing panic attacks when I was seventeen. My first were around my girlfriend's parents - I had some really terrible experiences when I was invited to dinner. Quite quickly I started avoiding them (before I really understood panic). At its worst point I was eating very little, I wouldn't be able to eat around anybody I wasn't comfortable with. There was a point where I couldn't even sit at the table with my family. Fortunately I think I'm gradually beginning to overcome that, but I still panic at the idea of eating out, or even at a friend's or relative's.

However, my real anxiety my fear of travelling. I haven't taken the bus or train for I think over two years now, I'm so terrified to! The last time I took the train was quite a short journey, but I had such a bad panic - I spent a good amount of time after reaching our destination standing over the toilet gagging. The last time I tried to take the bus was a few months ago. The day before I felt like I could do it, but in the morning I felt petrified - I got in such a panic that I had to confess to my friend why I couldn't go, and had him lie to my other friends for me.

Now I'm able to leave the house with only a little anxiety, but I get quite anxious in any place I'm not familiar with. If I'm somehow trapped somewhere (e.g. where something's expected of me) then I can have a full panic attack. The idea home terrifies me. I've been avoiding any kind of holidays since this started - I barely ever feel as though I can leave the town. I've only done so in the past few years with my parents, and even then I've panicked.

Right now, I feel fairly optimistic that I'm going to get over this, in time (but how I feel about it obviously depends a lot of my current mood). But the problem that's facing me now is university. I've been offered a few places. I originally planned on going away - I was supposed to have spent the last two years getting over my phobias so that I could go away, but if anything my fear of leaving home has increased. There's recently been built a university at my home town, to which I've also been offered a place. The course there is good, though not quite as ideal as the one I've been offered elsewhere. I visited there a few months ago and was surprised to see how nice it was. It's quite a bit smaller than most other universities, which obviously I find more comforting and probably better suits my personality.

So my dilemma is, do I stay or do I go? Since visiting it, I've been getting used to the idea of staying in my home town, and it's made me a lot calmer generally. Previously I'd wake up calm enough, then remember that I have to go away in few months and be worried, in a state of constant panic throughout the day and be unable to concentrate on anything. Of course, the idea of going to university at home worries me too - the fear of being trapped in classes etc., but the excitement of finally being able to study again seems to override that anxiety, which it doesn't when I think of going away. At the same time, I worry that if I stay at home I'll be holding myself back, that I'll be letting fear control me, that I'll never leave home and that I'll never get over my phobia. But I don't want to do the more scary thing if it's not going to help - as I am now I'd absolutely refuse to get in the car, let alone the bus or train. Also, I like to think that if I stay at home and study hard I can do my best to boost my confidence and maybe go away and study as a postgraduate.

At least I think, now, that either choice I make will be progressive - either way I'll be leaving my comfort zone and I really want to get back into education, instead of applying to jobs that scare me.

I'm sorry this post was very long. If you've read it then thank you, and please, any advice would be really great!

Re: University and Travel Phobia

You've got to go, you can't let your fear get in the way of what I promise will be one of the best experiences of your life. And if you have a really awful time, and it does get too much, there's nothing stopping you from dropping out and reapplying at the one in your home town the year after, though if you don't go to your first choice you'll forever be wondering "What if..."
    Have you ever sought help for your panic attacks by the way? I'd see your GP, with medication or counselling things may get better, and put your mind more at ease.
    Face your demons or you let them win my friend!
    Hope this helps x

"Change your thoughts and you change your world."
    Norman Vincent Peale.

First off you need to sort out some support!
    Doctors, therapists, support groups.
    Then you need to speak with you family and try and explain your travel fear. It will be helpful if you ever panic and need someone to ring or even give you a lift.
    It will give you some peace of mind that if you ever get scared there is someone there that will help you out.
    Then you need to check out the support at the university’s, most have councillors, the bigger ones usually have a doctor, nurse, physiatrist etc.. there is normally a 24 hour helpline available to students.

Have you visited the universities outside of your town? How did you feel about them?

I think if you decide to go to the one in your own town, you should live on campus if you can. that way you'll have a bit of independence but with the comfort of being close to come.
    Try and be realistic, and do what you feel like you would cope with.

Mishel had some very good advice I think, wherever you go even if it is only 5 miles away from your home try and live in halls.

Living on campus is such an important part of uni life as it can be the best place to form new friends.

You will do what is best for you whether that is your local uni or further afield, whatever you do it will be the right decision for you. Just remember nothing is concrete if you get there and don't like the place/course etc you can change for the following Sept.

Also you have plenty of time to start tackling this travel phobia before you go. Have you thought of CBT? You start overcoming your phobia in manageable steps. For example if the thought of getting on a bus terrifies you, just walk to a local bus stop and see the buses coming and going, then when comfortable go on the bus for 1 stop.

Megan

Thanks so much you guys!

Really, what I really wanted to hear was that I could study without leaving town and not be a complete failure, so thank you! At the same time, I'm still thinking hard about leaving - interestingly, just knowing that I don't have to has made me feel a lot easier about considering it.

When I left school I was referred to councilling by my GP. It was CBT based, but unfortunately I didn't think it very helpful. I think this was probably my own fault - really, I just didn't have the right attitude and just couldn't get the right motivation. But fortunately I was given piles of CBT literature, so I've been going through them for the past few days. I've also just got a book by Claire Weekes, which I'm quite excited about.

Talking to my folks I think will be a really important first step - it's something I've found really difficult to do. At the same time, they're very kind, and as long as I can get them to understand I think they'll be very sympathetic.

If I stay in town I had hoped that I could get student accommodation (I'd prefer not in halls, but in a student house), but I'm unsure whether I'll be offered a large enough loan to afford rent if I'm not leaving town. If I can find some part time work however I may be able to afford it anyway.

My local isn't really over-subscribed to, so I'm hoping that they'll still give me a place if I decide to go away then change my mind.

I'm hoping that once I start talking about it confronting my agoraphobia will seem a lot easier - I feel like in some ways my pride has stopped me from facing it, which is very silly.

Thanks again!

Meet your anxiety half way, thats what I try to do.
    for you the half way point seems to be going to school in your town but also living outside of your home.

Thread Information