Thread: long cycle periods

long cycle periods

Hi I am feeling really stresed at the minute and suffering from bad panic attacks any advice would be great.

I cam off the combined pill in feb 2010 and since then my periods have been all over the place. 28 days, 22, 39,47,42,28,37,51,42 - sorry too much info! I had been on the pill for 10 years - im 32. Before then my periods were irregular but currently the cycle is really long. 51 days in jan / feb and havent had one for 43 days currently. I went to the doctors last year about it and she said that it could take a while for my body to get back to normal for me. But as i suffer from health anxiety i am worried it is something alot more. I saw on the internet that it could be a symtom for brain tumours.
    I am going on holiday for 2 weeks next sat and worried that the stress will spoil my trip.
    thank you

Re: long cycle periods

hi

I can completely understand where you are coming from as I have been there. About two years, almost out of the blue my periods went crazy and were anywhere from 20 to 40+ cycles.

I had lots of tests as it all caused my HA, but was repeatedly told that it was hormonal (probably excess weight for me) and also that most likely I was not ovulating some months. I am currently taking clomid (fertility drug as I want to get pregnant again) and this month I had a normal period at 35 days so breakthough - but who knows if that will last!

I have a friend that came of the pill, very similar to you and it took a year for her periods to be normal.

Through all this i have learnt so much about how complex our bodies are and how it takes so little to make them go out of sync. I would say exactly as your GP that its just hormonal and it will get better in time.

So please don't ruin your holiday .. I have wasted so many weekends and holidays (even now as I am currently worrying re breast cancer) .. HA is horrible and not worth the worry if you can in anyway avoid it.

Good luck xxx

I should have added that stress alone can also stop periods - vicious circle I know!!

thanks I am just so worried it is something more. Can it stop you from getting pregnant?
    I feel like i have period pain today but still nothing. I cant cope with this.

Hi .. I feel for you so much as I have been there for two years. In terms of getting pregnant (which is why I assume you came off pill?) it all depends on if you are OV or not and its possible you aren't every month, or not at all. You can get tests for all that though and most likely it will settle down in time (especially when you relax). My friend who came off the pill did so to get pregnant and it took her a year, some accupuncture and she then had normal periods (normal ish) and got pregnant.

I no there is nothing wrong with me, but have needed clomid which I am now on to help me try and get pregnant - on 3rd cycle now. It can just take time.

Depending on your age they will refer you t gynae for help to concieve usually 6 months when over 35 and 12 months before that - I would discuss concerns with GP as they may act earlier.

I know its hard, but it is so normal for periods to be all over the place, especially after the pill. Remember the pill means you don't have proper periods so your cycle then cannot be compared to now. The pill also protects you against lots of illnesses so good that you took it.

I am sure your GP will reassure you - it took me a long time to get to where I am now and I still worry - but it was all such a waste of time as nothing at all is wrong. Its very hard when you have HA though so I do feel for you xxx

Wow you sound like me! I had been on the pill for 10 years and came off when I was 28. I came off the pill about 2 years ago, and since then my periods have been like yours. I go from 26 day cycles to a max of 44 I think. I used to be more or less regular before I went on them and now they're different every month. Some months I get no PMT and short periods, other times I get PMT really bad and longer periods. ><: I dunno if it's something that will sort itself out, or if it's my age (30) that's the reason its gone so nuts!

I was told by my GP some years ago that longer cycles can be an indication that you're not ovulating regularly. At the time, I was starting to go peri, so my cycle was very strange and varied hugely from month to month. Might be worth asking next time you go to the doc.

Worried it could be something really serious

Thread Information