Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some more valium quickly, advice?

Unhappy Need some more valium quickly, advice?

OK so I am very phobic of flying but need to do it.

So I went to my GP to ask for some valium. GP was not in favour of prescribing for this problem, and grudgingly gave me 4mg (2 each way). He would not even give me any to try out before hand so I could find out how it affected me (like another OP here I have a huge fear of new meds and there is no way I'd pop one for the first time in an airport!)

So I found some old valium pills I had wussed out of taking in the past - probably still within date but only just. And tonight I finally got the courage to try taking them. Yay!

Sadly though as I feared they are having little to no effect on me. I took the same 2mg my GP reckons will 'get me on a plane' and frankly this is not going to work. However I feel that if I could have some more (I am guessing around 3 times what I have taken now) then I might be OK.

I have until Tuesday evening to get some more pills. And I really think it would be reasonable for a Dr to prescribe me more - even as much as 10 mg each way.

I don't want to go back to the same one though for reasons I won't go into here.

How quickly can I get valium privately and how much will it cost me? My alternative is a friend giving me some. I know this will probably be totally fine but I am not as comfortable with it. I would like to see a Dr who understands my problem properly and be told that it's OK for me to take X amount

Help?

Re: Need some more valium quickly, advice?

Where are you going to get it from privately?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

10mg would be too strong believe me .. I was perscribed 2mg and it had no effect on me either ,and I certainly wouldnt have paid good money for two measley pills .Take some Kalms or quiet life and also take some Bach rescue remedy with you .You should never but pills online so please dont think about that method ..T/c Sue x

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Where are you going to get it from privately?
    That was sort of my question...

I don't expect to be able to get an NHS appointment between now and Wednesday so I had assumed something of this nature was my only option.

Quote Originally Posted by suzy-sue View Post
    10mg would be too strong believe me .. I was perscribed 2mg and it had no effect on me either ,and I certainly wouldnt have paid good money for two measley pills .Take some Kalms or quiet life and also take some Bach rescue remedy with you .You should never but pills online so please dont think about that method ..T/c Sue x
    Kalms. Are you kidding? And where did I say anything about buying pills online?

At this rate I will have to resort to my usual coping strategy of getting blind drunk, lashing out at people and risking arrest. Thanks a bunch NHS.

I would go back and see the doc again and explain all of this. You never know they may help.

Even if you went to a private doctor they would not prescribe it without your GP's consent.

Why not try a relaxation CD on the plane or some Rescue Remedy.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Even if you went to a private doctor they would not prescribe it without your GP's consent.
    I was not aware of this so that's helpful information, thank you.

I'm pretty disappointed that you are actually suggesting quack remedies as a moderator of this board though and it's kind of made me lose faith in it a little which is a shame. And for what it's worth I have TRIED relaxation, spent thousands of pounds on hypnotherapy and its ilk (complete rubbish). I feel very ripped off and angry about the whole thing.

Drugs are a last resort for some people and nothing else is ever going to help them (ok sure, I am experienced enough on the subject to know that aversion-type therapy is the best and only true cure for any phobia and I did it over many painful years with the Tube in London but short of a lottery win I am not going to be able to do a short flight every day for six months to 'get myself used to the idea' in the same way).

I can't really go back to my GP as I know they are not helpful about these things and it will only result in a row. But this whole experience has really upset me and I can't believe that people think they have the right to dictate to people what will and won't help them with a fear that ONLY THEY have been struggling with all their life.

I use Rescue Remedy and it helps me a lot so what is wrong with me suggesting it to a member. It is not as though I am pushing addictive medication at you now is it?

I am not sure what advice you are asking for then? I have offered some suggestions and you have thrown them back in my face.

Sorry, have you not heard of anxiety coming out as aggression before? This is how it affects me and I will feel bad about it later.

I am very glad that you find RR and so forth to be helpful but I'm not one of the lucky ones who can believe in it when I know that the science behind it is ill-founded. I suppose I am frustrated and angry that I have tried everything and still can't live a normal life and I can't talk about it to anyone without getting angry. I probably just shouldn't fly but this trip is really important to my partner who was recently diagnosed with a serious illness. I am desperate to do the right things by him and he needs a holiday so badly but for me getting on a plane is a nightmare.

Sorry. Extremely distressed and upset and hurting badly. I didn't mean to be rude.

Apology accepted.

Can you tell me what it is about the flying that worries you.

For me it is being shut in !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information