Thread: Giving medical advice on here

Giving medical advice on here

Please can I just remind members that this is NOT a medical site despite the fact that we are getting increasing numbers of members signing up asking for medical advice.

I know we are only trying to help members on here with medical issues but we also need to be aware that we are not medically trained and can only give our own personal advice.

If you have a medical problem that is worrying you then you DO NEED to see a doctor and not rely purely on replies given here.

Thank You

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Giving medical advice on here

Might be worth adding a few resources such as NHS Direct and the Scottish version since most of the people using the site are from the UK.

I totally agree with you Nic. I've seen people on here advising others to rub pile cream into their eye sockets, others suggesting that people with green urine should drink cranberry juice and other people suggesting that it's totally fine to ignore a breast lump because it's 'probably' fibrous tissue.

If you're not sure about your symptoms you need to see a Doctor, it's that simple.

People on here can help others deal with anxiety about their symptoms, but they cannot possibly diagnose medical conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by shoegal View Post
    People on here can help others deal with anxiety about their symptoms, but they cannot possibly diagnose medical conditions.
    Totally agree, however we can try and offer some advice based on previous experiences such as if you have a headache, take a painkiller, but the best thing is to always seek medical advice if needed.

Hi there, I agree it is wrong to advise people without correct diagnosis, but I have to add I think a big part of the problem maybe that it is so difficult in some areas to get to see a GP.

Often advanced appointments are booked months in advance and a surgeries on the day/next day appointment system has totally run out of emergency appointments by the time callers get through.

When patients do see GP's they are often extremely pushed for time and will only deal with one to two medical concerns at each appointment. Added to this, if a patient is being treated for anxiety, there is often a tendency for the GP to place patient health concerns in the realms of anxiety related hypochondria rather than doing a routine investigation. In turn sometimes patients may feel intimidated and not want to raise concerns for these very same reasons.
    NHS direct is unable to give any medical advice over medications and will refer you to your GP, as they will for most other medical problems which can't be resolved through reading the leaflet which your pills are prescribed with.

What I am trying to say is that psychiatric support is woefully inadequate for those with anxiety related disorders and OCD. Physical ailments are tended to with a great deal more competance and expertise in A&E than a suicidal psychosis incident. I mention A&E as if a crisis occurs outside of surgery hours or if there are no appointments available, this is where patients in crisis are advised to go, and the poor A&E staff are not seemingly trained at all to understand how to communicate effectively and calmly with psychiatric patients.
    This forum may not be a good place for medical advice and I absolutely would never advise someone on their condition, other than relaying my own experiences simply to share. It is vital people seek proper medical counsel, but where can they get it?

I don't personally tell anyone what to do, or what they have as a definite when I offer advice. That would be irresponsible and dangerous. I offer my opinion based on my experiences in healthcare, and I do so to try to at least partly allay their fears and offer a more balanced view than they get from Google, which only exacerabates there concerns IMO.

If a medical problem is causing their anxiety, then TBH I think that it is inevitable that people are going to post and I personally find it hard to just sit back and not chip in if I feel I can help somewhat.

I can only reiterate that I would never tell anyone you have this, or that, or do this and do that. For basic stuff yes, but anything ongoing and baffling, well that is a doctors job.

I only advise based on my own nursing experience.

I think that the fact people are posting on here about their physical aiments says a lot about the 'service' they are getting at their GP's, of which many seem not to factor their anxieties into the equation during a consultation.

The trouble with being an anxious patient is that some doctors either brush them off too quickly without a fuller explanation so they go home worrying, or else they may think the patient is just overanxious when coming to see them about something actually valid.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by debs71; 05-12-11 at 17:05.

Such a valid point, not everything causing symptoms IS health anxiety and only after everything else has been ruled out by a qualified professional can that diagnosis be made.

I've seen people on here advising others to rub pile cream into their eye sockets
    I don't know whether to or or ....serious ?

I find it crazy that over there you have to Wait months to see your GP!
    Here I always get an appointment n some days you can just walk in and wait to be seen without an appointment .

Just to stand up for NHS, I don't think it would ever be months to see a GP and if it were if it would be a cause for complaint to the Local Health Authority (PCT). In some areas it might be weeks perhaps, upto three, for a routine appointment. But I have never had trouble getting an urgent appointment on the day, it I ring first thing in the morning. At my current GP I can normally get a non urgent appointment the same day. I have also found that when acutely anxious and no appointments are available because I have rung too late in the day, a doctor will speak to me on the phone. I know people have mixed expereinces of GPs, my last one was dreadful, but you can change and many/most are good.

Thread Information