Thread: Anyone find too much sleep makes anxiety worse?

Anyone find too much sleep makes anxiety worse?

I notice on days where I get over 8 hours sleep I am more anxious. But if I sleep 6-6.5 hours I am not normally very anxious and feel awake and full of energy.

Anyone else feel this?

Re: Anyone find too much sleep makes anxiety worse?

I can't remember the last time I had 8 hrs sleep. Insomnia is just about the worse symptom of my anxiety.

Come to think of it your right... more sleep more anxiety...... I never saw the link b4. I can sleep 10-12 hours sometimes and feel like crud. Other times 6-8 and feel better. This might be worth some research into. I will post anything of interest I find.

Thanks

Yes, i experience the same. Like yesterday i slept very long, i think 12 hours and in the afternoon i slept also a few hours and i was feeling so bad. In general i sleep to much, it is a kind of escaping and also i just like to sleep. But a part of that is because of the medication i use i think: clomipramine. I am often very sleepy. But when i sleep to much it is not doing me good, but i find it very hard to find a balance, because i definately need my rest but also think i have to keep my body going. I work 4 days a week but when i come home from work i go to bed for a few hours because if i do not do that i know i have not enough rest to be 'attackless' the next day. In the weekend i sleep too much and that destroys my body i think but i cannot help it

i find this to be true as well. it can be diffiuclt, though, because i get so tired and exhausted from the anxiety and what not that i want to keep sleeping. but, like other posters, it's also used as an escape. i find that when i stay in bed longer i'm disappointed in myself for not being able to get up and for having anxiety and for not being "better." also, i have longer to stay in my dreams, which can be good at times, but it's not reality and another form of escape. so i end up not dealing with the issues. and i'm sure that just on a physiological level, too much sleep is kind of like too much water for a plant. you just start to rot.
    anyway, those are my ideas. hope it was somewhat coherent. i'm actually dealing with this at the moment. stayed in bed too long and now feel terrible. Oh, another thought, i find that if i don't eat every few hours i get low blood sugar and then symptoms of anxiety start. so i wonder if that's part of why sleeping too much isn't a great idea. it's a longer time in between eating and that can cause a whole mess of symptoms.

iv never really noticed but i always think if i dont have enough sleep then il feel more panicky the next day,so i always get up about 12 so i know ive had enough sleep

I used to think that I needed a lot of rest because I felt so ill all of the time. After CBT I know that I'm not ill but anxious and I try to have a normal routine. I do feel better for it. I'm not always good though.

Sleep is an escape for me too and if I'm bored or depressed I sneak off back to bed.

Thread Information