Thread: Citalopram dose too high?

Question Citalopram dose too high?

Hi, although i am feeling much better than i did, i have been on citalopram for 6 months now, and on 50mg for 8 weeks, the trouble is i still have an uncomfortabe feeling, hard to describe, feel ok about going out, and doing things (except the hairdresser) still have to overcome that yet, but i feel it's still there in the background, and find i crave chocolate and carbs, hence the weight gain. could my dose be too high, has anyone ever taken a dose that they know has been too high, and if so how did they know, or do i need an extra 10mg to sort this out, i see my phyc doctor on 23rd. may, i can cope with it, but i feel i just have a little way to go, any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Citalopram dose too high?

Hi PD, are you hoping the cit will completely eliminate all anxiety symptoms?
    This is really not possible, the drug would be unsafe if it did that. Eg. if a car pulled out in front of you at a junction you would not react fast and brake in time to prevent an accident. You still will have to have an anxiety response to threats with any treatment. The problem with anxiety disorder is that we see normal everyday events and feelings in our bodies as threats, we are misinterpreting what we are feeling and maintaining a constant level of anxiety.

Thanks moch, I do understand that we need to feel normal anxiety, , but this is not what i feel, i feel slightly shaky in the mornings, and feel as if i can feel the buzz of the medication (i think that's what it is) maybe i am expecting too much of the meds. I do think i could be slightly better, and just wondered if the dose was too high, or is this as good as it gets, how long do you need to take the increased dose before you get maximun results? anyway i'll battle on keeping busy. thanks

I'm still feeling a buzzy lightheaded feeling 11 days after upping the dose from 20-30mg. I did read it can take 3 weeks to adjust to a dose change. I guess after 8 weeks and its still having this side effect then it might be the wrong dose for you.

Thread Information