Thread: Seroxat taker for 10 years.....cold turkey?

Seroxat taker for 10 years.....cold turkey?

Hi, I was prescribed seroxat 10 years ago for manic depression and phycosymatic pains in arms rendering them useless.

At first I was a new man, no depression, anxiety, pain, etc and all was good.

However as the years have gone on I have increasing severe insomnia to the point of "PLEASE LET ME SLEEP", aches and pains that fit into the joint pain category, restless leg and anxiety woes. In order to try to sleep I am now increasingly drinking on a Friday and Saturday night just for the knock out effect.

I'm on 30mg a day and in the past have just stopped taking them and bombed into hell.

Today I cut my pill in half with the hope to go a few months on 15mg and reduce from there.

Bottom line is I want off these pills that were sold to me as the wonder drug with no side effects and easy to stop. I dont want to replace them with a "modern" alternative that doctors say......"the wonder drug with no side effects and easy to stop"!

My wife of 25years has lived through hell with me before the pills and times when I have tried to stop and is worried I am doing the wrong thing, but my mind is telling me it is.

I forgot to mention I used to self harm....life is good is it not?

Im seeking advice as I just want out of seroxat, I want to put my head on my pillow like I remember from so long ago and just sleep and not be tormented with electricity running through my spine, down my legs making me jump and spasm.....I am at the end of my tether.

Re: Seroxat taker for 10 years.....cold turkey?

I think you should take a step back and explain everything to your GP as you have here. Print this post and just hand it to the GP maybe. You have taken this drug for so long that only a GP can give you correct advice about how to reduce it. I think you need to look at the whole picture before you make any decisions.

Vx

Thanks V,

my only concern is the GP will prescribe another drug to help me through and all I will be doing is replacing the devil with his son.

My wife btw agrees with you, but I am now so convinced coming off is the best thing for me I think the GP will not treat me in my best interest

Hi Pachjo

I was on seroxat for 14 years and came off them with the help of my GP. initially was on 20mg a day. I wont lie coming off them was horrendous, but i did manage it. Mr GP cross tapered with prozac and i was also on diazapam. I know you don;t want to take other meds but they do help with the withdrawal and they are much easier to come off. Unfortunately is have had a relapse and am know back on seroxat. Good luck. x

Elaine, I feel for you I really do and wish you well. I would be worried about the other pills tho....

Hi there

I was on Seroxat for a few years ( I forget how long, it was a decade ago and not a great time in my life!) and I decided to come off them cold turkey. I really don't recommend it at all, I lost my job, my whole life went upside down, I fell out with people and cut them out of my life, I argued with my family and generally felt horrendus and didn't want to get out of bed. It was so messed up, I didn't even connect it to the fact that I'd just stopped taking them..... In fact it probably wasn't until Seroxat got into the news with bad press on side effects that I even connected it up. I did get through it, but I put myself through hell. Like you, I'd reached the end of my tether and couldn't cope any more...they say a change is as good as a rest. Maybe you could talk to your gp about coming off ADs, but maybe you could switch to something new right now, and reduce the doses of that, rather than seroxat? You might experience new/different side effects, but equally you might get rid of some of those you are experiencing at the moment. If you self harm, you do have a bit more at risk, so seems sensible to get some advice.... Good luck, and hope you get off them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pachjo View Post
    Hi, I was prescribed seroxat 10 years ago for manic depression and phycosymatic pains in arms rendering them useless.

At first I was a new man, no depression, anxiety, pain, etc and all was good.

However as the years have gone on I have increasing severe insomnia to the point of "PLEASE LET ME SLEEP", aches and pains that fit into the joint pain category, restless leg and anxiety woes. In order to try to sleep I am now increasingly drinking on a Friday and Saturday night just for the knock out effect.

I'm on 30mg a day and in the past have just stopped taking them and bombed into hell.

Today I cut my pill in half with the hope to go a few months on 15mg and reduce from there.

Bottom line is I want off these pills that were sold to me as the wonder drug with no side effects and easy to stop. I dont want to replace them with a "modern" alternative that doctors say......"the wonder drug with no side effects and easy to stop"!

My wife of 25years has lived through hell with me before the pills and times when I have tried to stop and is worried I am doing the wrong thing, but my mind is telling me it is.

I forgot to mention I used to self harm....life is good is it not?

Im seeking advice as I just want out of seroxat, I want to put my head on my pillow like I remember from so long ago and just sleep and not be tormented with electricity running through my spine, down my legs making me jump and spasm.....I am at the end of my tether.
    Are you still Bipolar? There are newer, more suitable drugs for that now. Have you tried Pregabalin?

Good Luck.

Thread Information