Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram and Alcohol

Citalopram and Alcohol

Can any one tell me if i'm ok to drink alcohol whilst taking Citalopram?

I've only just started taking them and the leaflet says it would be sensible to avoid it which is obvious i guess, its just its my boyfriend and his mothers birthday today and there is a family meal/get together later. I know there will be wine with the meal and I would like to join in with the celebrations, i'm just teffified if I have a couple then something bad might happen.

Any advice?

Re: Citalopram and Alcohol

In my opinion one or two glasses of wine should be ok. Maybe have one and leave a bit of time to see if you are ok before you try a second - the effects of alcohol can hit home much more quickly when you're taking ADs. Have a great time tho x

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Thank you. I'll prob be that worried bout it i'll end up having none any way but was wondering for future events aswell as I dont want to give it up completely as I do enjoy the odd glass when cathching up with pals. I'll just stuff my face with cake instead to make up for it lol.

Maybe have a glass in the house sometime and see how you go, before trying it in public as it were, but I;m sure it'll be ok. My husband takes cit and drinks (too much IMO!) x

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

i totally agree with janeC.. i am fine to drink wine/beers but i pace myself. on my birthday a few weeks ago i made the mistake of drinking quite quickly and adding spirits into the mix. i didnt really drink that much and before i started on the tablets i could handle my drink quite well, but now i cant. i woke up the next day covered in cuts and bruises, and my partner had to inform me of the nights events as i didnt remember a great deal. definatley drinking in moderation from now on and staying clear of the spirits lol x

I can't drink at all on Citalopram. Sick after one Bicardi Breezer

I haven't noticed any difference in my drinking tolerance whilst on Cit. I checked on the NHS website which says there are no known interactions between Cit & alcohol? x

Like JaneC says try a glass at home. When I was on cit I'd have 1 drink, feel like I'd had about 10, had a 2nd drink and was ready to go to bed! I ended up avoiding it just because I didn't even feel like drinking.
    It affects everyone differently though. I remember my doctor said it says avoid alcohol on the leaflet but he said everyone drinks on it and it's fine.

Same as Jenbo, makes no difference to me .

I,ve give up drinking now due to my stomach issue that has reared its ugly head again , friday night and i,m as dry as a bone , really miffed ..lol..

Glad to hear it mel2 It's good to give our guts a break...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information