Thread: Really worried about going back to work tommorow! :-(

Really worried about going back to work tommorow! :-(

I just called work to find out what time im in and I have a 10 hour shift tommorow. I work in a bar so It's been a battle to get through a work day this past few months and weekends are so busy.
    I've been off for a few days to go to my gp, he put me on Citalopram but I just feel really anxious, I don't want to spend all day worrying about this.
    And to make me more anxious I had a man be very aggressive towards me last time I was at work which is just adding to the worry!
    I don't know what to do, I don't want to avoid going in :-(

Re: Really worried about going back to work tommorow! :-(

From my experience the longer you put things off, the harder they will be.
    Did any other staff see this man be aggressive towards you? Either way I would make sure your colleagues know about it. I used to work in a bar years ago and know what some people can be like, especially when there is alcohol involved.
    Keep going with the citalopram. Often people feel more anxious on the first two weeks or so of taking them (I did), which could be making you feel worse right now.

All the best x

It was in the corridor so no one saw but I went through a staff door nearby to the office and got really upset, my manager said he thinks it's a man that was in the other week causing trouble. I couldn't compose myself afterwards and ended up telling a work college about my anxiety and that I was going to my gp, she was very understanding.
    I'm just worried that because the citalopram isn't working yet that i'm going to get panicky at work. I havn't been out my house whilst I've been off either. My friend is taking me swimming later though so hopefully this will give me a boost.

thankyou for the reassurence x

I know just how you feel Kate, but you will probably feel a bit better once you get there and get started. You would be unlucky to get this aggressive man again as he is obviously not a regular and even if he did turn up, couldn't you go straight to the manager and let him deal with it? That is what they are paid for.

Any exercise you can get will be good for you (swimming is excellent). Try to do this regularly as it will help you. I always note how far I am through a shift at intervals and tell myself how well I have coped, especially once I'm over half way through. The time does go quicker when you are busy, so try and get engrossed in what you are doing to help the time pass.

Once the Citalopram kicks in things should get a little easier, just hang on in there.

Tyke

Ive just recently been put on citalopram myself, I have been reassured many times it takes a while to kick in. I'm sure it will and it will help. I genrally avoid many situations but always end up feeling bad about it after, good luck with work kate i'm sure you can do it!

Just to echo what Tyke said, it is unlikely that that man will come back and if he does make sure you tell the manager. He is a known trouble maker now so they should deal with him swiftly.

I hope it went well today x

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    I know just how you feel Kate, but you will probably feel a bit better once you get there and get started. You would be unlucky to get this aggressive man again as he is obviously not a regular and even if he did turn up, couldn't you go straight to the manager and let him deal with it? That is what they are paid for.

Any exercise you can get will be good for you (swimming is excellent). Try to do this regularly as it will help you. I always note how far I am through a shift at intervals and tell myself how well I have coped, especially once I'm over half way through. The time does go quicker when you are busy, so try and get engrossed in what you are doing to help the time pass.

Once the Citalopram kicks in things should get a little easier, just hang on in there.

Tyke
    Thankyou Tyke, you were right it wasn't as bad once I was there It never is, i just get so worked up before.
    I also took your advice and had a cup of tea every few hours for a few mintues and tell myself i'm ok.
    Just the waiting game now for the citalopram I guess.
    thanks so much for the support guys! x

and thanks spagetti, I told the bouncers about it today too so they know what he looks like, there just on a weekend though, but made me less worried x

Try to keep going in to work, and keep yourself occupied. It WILL get better. I'm going back to work after 5 months off with anxiety, depression and post traumatic stress disorder! I'm anxious about going back to work, but I know that after I'm back for a few hours, I will be ok!

So will you!

Thanks sparky, how did you get on going back? x

Thread Information