Thread: Numb spot on upper right side of lip

Unhappy Numb spot on upper right side of lip

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else has had this??

Yesterday whilst exercising madly (doing alot of cardio - something I usually avoid as I hate the 'heart-racing' feeling that it gives), I got a numb spot on the upper right side of my lip. I can feel it when I'm talking etc and it's still persisting today... I have full mobility (my first thought was "Oh my god! STROKE!"so i did the tongue test etc to make sure), and I can smile etc, it just feels like a numb spot when I move it around (like when you've been to the dentist)..

I'm assuming (hoping) that this is just an anxiety thing and am waiting for someone else to say they've experienced too, just to make sure. I'm very strict with googling as MS is way to easy to self-diagnose when you have anxiety!!!

Thanks so much for listening (reading..)
    Ziggy.

Re: Numb spot on upper right side of lip

NO NOT A STROKE!!!
    My mouth goes numb all the time, it's really bad when I'm having a migraine.
    is it totally numb you know where it feels swollen., or is it light numbness with maybe tingling ?

you could have tensed your neck or jaw muscles,
    TMJ could cause it,
    If one of your teeth has been sore that can cause it too.

Exclamation Re: Numb spot on upper right side of lip

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    a numb spot on the upper right side of my lip. I can feel it when I'm talking etc and it's still persisting today...

I woke up with the same thing today. A small numb spot, maybe 0.5mm, on the right side of my upper lip. It's maybe 1cm right of center. I wasn't doing any cardio exercise yesterday though I do have some mild heart issues. I don't know when it started for me because I've been asleep for the past eight hours, but it's really disconcerting. In the first minute of experiencing it I had flashes go through my head of everything from TIA or stroke to Bell's palsy... Thanks, panic disorder, this is exactly what I need.
    I did a Google search and atumbled upon this forum, your post in particular, and was hoping you are still an active user here and could give an update. I really hope this is nothing serious. I'm afraid to keep googling.

In regards to what Anxious_gal wrote, I don't get migraines that I know of, though I am at an even more stressful than usual part of my life. I have several sore teeth as I clench my jaw and grind my teeth in my sleepwhile has resulted in almost all of my molars becoming broken over the past couple of years. I also don't have TMJ.

This is really bothering me. I'm so tired of my body betraying me that I really need for this to be something innocuous. It's never happened to me before and nothing has changed since yesterday so I fear that's not the case

Ziggy, do you have any updates? What happened? How long did it last? Did it just go away?

Thabks

Coldsore? Never had but but I hear they feel numb and tingly.

I've got no idea. I hope not, that's the last thing I need. I don't think I've ever had a cold sore but I have been particularly stressed lately and not sleeping much, and that seems to be a classic trigger for cold sores. Perhaps I'll go pick up some hemoform serum and apply it to the spot just in case.
    Thanks for the reply, Pablo. I've decided that's probably what it is.

While it is possible to have had it and never been symptomatic, it's also possible it's something more innocuous. If it's a coldsore it should progess and become obvious. If not, I wouldn't stress. Take care.

Ziggy and Obeycamp, how are you doing now? I have this symptom too, and it's so disconcerting. :(
    I encourage anyone who's struggling with their doctor to take your health into your own hands. You can always start by checking reviews at www.RateMDs.com. And don't forget to leave a positive review for the doctors you appreciate! FYI: Here are some tips on writing an online review of your doctors: http://abt.cm/1lZUdaF

This thread is over 8 years old. The last post was two years ago. Suffice it to say, the members have moved on and all is well

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 13-08-19 at 22:58.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I really hope they're both doing well!! I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, and I've had numbness on and off for 15 years. Some symptoms change often though, and new ones pop up, like numbness specifically in my mouth. Because of the length of my condition and the way symptoms can be with us for years, I appreciate talking to people even about symptoms they had years ago. I'm also interested in how their symptoms were diagnosed, treated, and how/whether they resolved. If they see this post, I'd definitely like to hear from them.

Thread Information