Thread: Situational IBS

Situational IBS

Apologies for the 'wordy' forum title - I can't think of any other way to describe what I have

37 year old man here, suffered from IBS most of my life. My first major attack was when I was about 15/16 when doing school exams and I've had it on and off since then.

In the last few years though the condition has changed - I rarely get acute attacks any more (ie none that come on suddenly and last for a few days) - but I have more of a chronic pattern now where I often feel bloated and experience uncomfortable trapped wind quite often.

The most disruptive part though is that I suffer from cramping first thing in the morning - but only if I'm not sleeping in my own bed, alone!

If I stay with friends, partner, or I'm on holiday - I always wake up crampy. If I share my bed with partner - usually the same.

Just wanted to see if I'm a total freak with this one or if anyone else experiences this situational IBS? Would be nice to feel someone else understands what I'm dealing with ;-)

All the best,
    Steve

Dahlia is offline Intermediate Member

Re: Situational IBS

Hi Steve. Do you feel anxious in those situations? Anxiety has an effect on the gut and can trigger IBS. If you don't feel esp. comfortable not being in bed, alone, it could be that it triggers an episode.

I don't think I feel particularly anxious more than usual (I'm a pretty anxious person generally) when outside my normal routine, but I do suspect I am not able to relax in the same way...

Are there any good ways to reduce anxiety? I don't really want to go on meds again, tried them last year and didn't enjoy the side-effects.

Have you been back to your GP about the gut symptoms? It's worth asking if there's anything else that would help - there are drugs like Buscopan and Colofac which can help to reduce the gut spasms, so maybe you could take these when you're going to stay with your girlfriend.

If you don't fancy anxiety medication, you could always try one of the online CBT courses - two that seem to work well for people are Moodgym and Living Life to the full.

Thanks for the tips blueangel :-) I've got some Buscopan - haven't really given it a proper try yet as I can't work out how to take it when the symptoms are very sporadic and only there first thing in the morning. I'll try it over a weekend when I'm most likely to be away.

I've never really found GPs to be much help with my IBS symptoms. My current GPs have a propensity to start on new age remedies which I'm far too much of a sceptic for!

Thanks so much for the tips on CBT courses. I'll have a look at those.

I would try taking the Buscopan either with your evening meal, or before you go to bed, as that should help relax your gut overnight. I ended up taking the damn things like sweeties a few months ago when I was really suffering, so I can sympathise!

Great stuff, thank you. Can't imagine having to take them for too long as they're so expensive - I guess cheap generics will be a while off yet!

Thread Information