Thread: The stifma of mental illness

The stifma of mental illness

Why do people look down on people who suffer with mental illnes?
    Im sick of people saying pull your self together. Im not a pair of curtains!
    Ive still got a brain and still got emotion like everyone else.
    I admit until 4 years ago I would have said the same and feel guilty about that.
    Im so glad that now celebrities are coming forward and admiting that they too are suffering or have suffered.
    I dont know how other people feel but I think that some people know ive got an imaginary illness and are claiming incapacity benefit under false pretences.
    Ive worked hard and been on sick and paid into the system.
    At the time I started with panic attacks I was working 50 hours a week and not through choice but because no one else would do the work.
    Sorry I just had to get that off my chest. What little chest I have
    Last edited by Granny Primark; 18-04-11 at 04:47.

Laugh and the world laughs with you , cry and ? .....
    you need a bog roll. lol

Re: The stifma of mental illness

Hello

so get how you feel .................there is still such a stigma attached to mental suffering ............it is completely wrong but so hard for anyone to know that distress we have on daily basis sometimes . I would not wish it on my worst enemy .
    find my sons the worst offenders...........the laughing behind my back and oh god is mum crying again .
    my husband is fantastic thank god .
    the celebrity stuff I am not sure of ...........Catherine Zeta Jones spends a week in clinic ???? just the media I suppose though .
    You have worked your butt off ............exhaustion was very likely part of why you had panic attacks lovely lady .

sending you hugs ...........and do not let anyone ever make you feel bad. .
    take care

sorry meant stigma

Laugh and the world laughs with you , cry and ? .....
    you need a bog roll. lol

I don't get this because i simply wouldn't let ANYONE look down their nose at me.

I think, sometimes we 'think' others do because of how we feel within ourselves, i know i certainly did but i have got the full circle and don't even give it head space.

We are just as (normal) as the next person, we all have our problems, our good points, our bad points, our strengths and weaknesses so who is to say or even think they are any better.

Lynn you are a lovely person, you're a good wife, mum and granny with a heart of gold. Sod what anyone else thinks hun be proud of who you are. Hold that head up gal.

Love Lisa
    xxxx

True Lisa,
    At the moment I do see myself as weak and anxious and I see how many issues I have,
    I'm not ashamed any more of my anxiety and agoraphobia and I'm much more honest about it now.
    But there will always people someone who looks down on you.
    People are ignorant, because they don't understand anxiety or depression.
    it's not you it's them lol

I was recently told about how famous people take antidepressants too! I was like so what they are people too, it's not like they are GODS or super humans haha.
    I'm not one to be impressed though by famous people.

I need to find a famous agoraphobic!! My aunt thinks I'm not agoraphobic because I can outside!

I totally agree. People haven't said it to me but look at me like 'oh my god, what are you going to do' because simply they don't know much about it, and I suppose if you've not experience of it then why would you!

I'm 99.9999% more stable now I'm on vanlafexin and I still have a way to go and I know it'll always be with me but I can look on it now as a part of me and that I just have to get on with it.
    There will always be people who just don't get it but I really really appreciate the people who give me the chance. Like today I explained my depression and stuff which contributed to my sicknesses in an internal job interview and I said I'm trying to prove myself and he turned round to me and said 'I'm glad you've been honest and I'll give you a chance to prove yourself'
    That alone is the best thing I've heard in years

I know exactly what you mean Lynn. I think it is harder for people to accept mental health problems because there is an attitude of 'pull yourself together' this is all in your head and you are not seriously ill. Of course, this comes from people who are fortunate enough not to be prone to any kind of problem like this and find it impossible to put themselves in a position like ours. They just see it as a weakness. Then there is another attitude of fear when it comes to mental health problems. If you are classed or labelled as having a mental illness then you are not 'normal', may be irrational, unpredictable or even a danger to yourself or others! When it is as easy to come out and talk about anxiety or depression as it is when we have a physical illness we will have reached some kind of acceptance, but we are still a long way from that.

As for the celebrities coming out, it can only be a good thing on the whole as it puts these issues under the spotlight, but I don't think it changes societies general attitude that much. There have for a long time been a few well known names being open about about their illnesses - Stephen Fry, the late Spike Milligan etc. Celebrities are allowed more freedom to admit to these things and people will accept it because they are famous in a way they wouldn't be so understanding with for instance their work colleague signed off with stress again by their doctor.

Lizz - I am really pleased it worked out for you. It sounds like your employer is one of the more enlightened ones. I hope it catches on!

Tyke

Alot of people at work don't really understand, but this guys new and is obviously more open minded, just hope I get the job!

Hi all, I agree with what you all saying.
    when I was younger I had time off work with depression and anxiety
    through losing my parents close tgether and marital problems.
    I had two small children and my sister looked after them,for which I will always be grateful.
    At my workplace I was having "Whats up with you" "pull youself together"
    I had no phone then. But I hid when my boss came to the house.
    I was one of the worse times of my life.
    I am loads better now, if I keep taking my meds I still have different problems, but am dealing with it
    Love to all

Hello Dahlia,
    Interesting post and article. I am trying to understand the bi pola illness
    I become aggressive now more than I did years ago.That is with frustration.
    When I started with my anxiety and depression years ago.
    I woke up one morning and I could not get my children ready for school
    My little girl went to fetch a neighbour.She dealt with them for me and took them to school.
    I somehow walked to the village, but I could not find my sister's house,Someone saw I was in distress and took me to my sisters.I was in such a state she sent for the GP for me to come to her house which he did.
    I have every sympathy with celebrities who have mental problems,but they have the money to have child care/treatments etc.

I am amazed I am still living when I think what i have been through
    in the past.
    All the best

Thread Information