Thread: So scared, lost eyesight temporarily

So scared, lost eyesight temporarily

Hi everyone

The most scary thing happened to me yesterday. My eyesight went really strange. I couldn't see properly and couldn't figure out if it was one eye only or both. It was like the more i tried to centre of something it would be hazy and like fade in and out . I thought I was imagining things at first. It was a bit like if you look at the sun then when you look at normal things you can't see properly because the shadow of what you looked like is there. It was so weird. I had a massive panic attack thinking it was a stroke or that i was going blind . I asked my husband to take me to the local hospital. The doctor there was lovely and checked my blood pressure and eyes etc and said all seemed to be ok. Of course I burst into tears. I was so shaky and sweaty. I'm sure the panic attack didn't help my eyesight at all. The doctor suggested i get my eyes checked again at the opticians which I will organise this week. I just wondered if anyone else ever experienced eye disturbances and do you think anxiety would make it worse?

Oh also the doctor said it could be migraine auras or something !

Thanks Guys
    Luv Tracy

Re: So scared, lost eyesight temporarily

I got my first migraine aged 11 , about the same time my womanly hormones kicked in!
    I started feeling funny. then realized I couldn't see, I was terrified!!!
    But I also get a lot of horrible symptoms with my migraines and when I get a bad one I can be in bed for 3 days :(
    yes the aura lasts an hour so I hear, with me though it can lasts a few hours and my vision can be a bit hazy or funny for a few days after.
    if you google migraine aura you should see lots of pictures,
    the aura I think is basically a type of hallucination, it's in no way related to your actual eye sight x so there no chance of you going bind.
    But every times I get a migraine I still get very scared even thought you'd think I would be used to them by now!

I've also heard that those lights in supermakets can trigger off a migraine and even certain weather conditions, which may explain why some people get them around the same time .

Thankyou so much for your reply, my gosh I have not felt that scared in a very long time. My anxiety problems are normally missed beats etc that scare me to death but this eye thing just came out of the blue and hit me like a mack truck .

Thanks once again for your quick reply, means the world to me.

luv
    Tracy

My agoraphobia, fear of being on my own was triggered off by migraines, i get the vision loss thing, along with feeling very confused, loss of speech, dizziness, numbness, weakness, random odd sensations, along with bad derealization n depersonalization,
    hate talking durning a migraine too because my voice sounds very far away.
    My panic attacks sorta started off with fear of getting a migraine, any time I felt a bit off I would panic and think I was having a migraine.
    It didn't help that people get very worried about me, if they do not know I suffer migraines, because I get confused n lose the ability to form words or I forget names of every day objects, it can freak people out.

They can make your anxiety worse, I get the worst anxiety durnng a migraine, I can spend hours throwing up sometimes too, and I can feel very and hungry too lol after a migraine.
    They are really scary, and even I still have the fear of the aura or other symptoms never going away.

you can get medication such as these pink tablets, migraleave I think they are called, if you take them when the migraine starts they can help stop it from turning into a full blown migraine, they also have something in them to help with nausea.

aw your welcome x

Thats great thanks, i'll see if I can see find those tablets.

take care
    Luv Tracy

I get the migraine with aura and had exactly the same thing happen, I was so panicked about the aura's that I would panic at the slightest hint of my eyesight going wierd, this led to constant panic attacks which then took over my life. I had a breakdown in the end. I still get the migraines but not so often. They really freak me out still.

Wow, that's spooky! Exact same thing happened to me last night! I freaked, though it was a side effect of the new antibiotic I had just started. My sister wanted to phone the crisis team.

BUT, I've had this once before (see my recent post) and it was an aural migraine. Got a huge fright though cos I'm not too good just now anyway.

Haz. x

Hi Guys

Thanks to everyone that has replied, it means so much to me. Not that I wish this on anyone but it does help to know I'm not alone. I'm going to get my eyes checked today at the opticians just to make sure they're ok. I find myself still freaking though and checking to see if my eyesight is going weird again.

Thanks once again and much luv to everyone
    Tracy

Hey Tracy.
    I haven't been on here for over a month but jumped on today looking for a post exactly as this.
    I had one of these yesterday morning (Happy Mother's Day)! It's the third time this year it's happened and before that i have never experienced it which makes me more anxious! The last time it happened on my way to work and i freaked big time. I ended up calling the ambulance to work which is something i have never done before.
    I have googled to try to get some answers which helped a bit but none of the stories actually describe the strange eye thing exactly like mine. I too have a spot like ive just looked at the sun and when i look at something its like theres a bit missing. It then quickly moves to the side(perephial) of my eye and does some weird fast flashing, tunnelling like thing (i really cant put it into words). After this i develop a mild headach on the opposite side. It's really scary because im not a migraine sufferer or a headache sufferer for that matter so i need answers, i need to know why now??!
    I have noted that the last time and yesterday were both between 10 and 7 days before my period is due......can you make any connection with yours?

Kel x

Hi Kel

I know exactly how you feel, mine was the exact same. Well I am peri-menopausal at the minute so can go afew months and not have a cycle. In saying that, I did have a monthly around the time this weird eye thing happened (can't quite remember if it was before or after). I do reckon it could be hormonal also. I havn't had it since but i'm living in constant fear it will happen again. I too ended up with a bit of a headache on the opposite. I googled also and thats how I came up with the migraine aura even before the optician said that to me. Also a lady i work with said she has the exact same thing, its very strange and not very nice at all.

I'll let you know if i find out any more info.

Take care hun
    Tracy x

Thread Information