Thread: IBS Symptoms & Narrow Stool Worries

IBS Symptoms & Narrow Stool Worries

Are there any IBS sufferers out there who can offer me a bit of advice?

I've been having tummy troubles for about a week and a half now. It started with wind and constipation, which went on for about five days. I could pass stools and they looked normal - it's just that there seemed to be a lot of wind 'blocking' them and I was having a lot of trouble getting them out. And once I did, I felt like I hadn't completely 'emptied' myself.

Earlier this week, the wind and constipation cleared up, but I started getting bouts of diarrhoea - not very bad diarrhoea, just loose stools, mostly in the mornings. That went on for a couple of days, then I wasn't too bad for a day or two and I thought things were returning to normal.

Then yesterday, I had bad diarrhoea. I had to keep going throughout the morning and the stools looked different each time - sometimes small and soft and kind of yellowy-brown and then the last time there was a narrow stool, which I have never done before. I was in so much discomfort, I took some anti-diarrhoea tablets and they helped to stop it. I haven't passed a stool since early yesterday afternoon, but I now have wind/constipation back again.

So my question is this - can an 'attack' of IBS last for over a week like this and can the symptoms change throughout the attack?

I have had bouts of wind/constipation and loose stools before, but they have usually only lasted a day or two and I have never been diagnosed with IBS. I'm getting worried because this has gone on for so long. Also, I made the mistake of googling 'narrow stool' and I am now worried I might have something terrible wrong with me. All my symptoms match up with IBS and I know this is probably the most likely scenario, but I can't help but worry.

Can anyone offer some reassurance? Do you recognise these symptoms as IBS? How long should I leave it before I go to the doctors and get checked out?

Thank you!

Re: IBS Symptoms & Narrow Stool Worries

Hi there, i have ibs and have suffered with it for around 10 years, i get everything you described i have no real pattern with my bowel habbits, my stools are always different, i pretty much suffer all the time, but i do find fibre-gels help me. In my opinion it does sound like you have ibs, which is so common in anxiety, but i would advice seeing your gp and get it properly diagnosed.

narrow stools are very common with ibs . Go the dr,s for peace of mind , but it does sound exactly like ibs

Thanks for the replies!

I went to see my doctor today to discuss this and another problem. She agreed that it does sound like IBS and has prescribed a powder I can take to help with my bowel movements. Not sure if I'm going to need it or not as things have been a bit better the last few days. Maybe I'm finally getting back to normal?

She's asked me to go back and see her in a few weeks and update her on the situation. I feel better already. Sometimes all it takes is a little reassurance!

Thread Information