Thread: Can't leave house

Exclamation Can't leave house

Hey. I been suffering from really bad anxeity the last few weeks, worse then normal. This means I didn't let my parents go to the beach for Easter as I just couldn't face the car journey. Now, I been struggling to go to work ( work at weekends) and then today was my first day back at uni ( had 4 weeks off) and i drove there, as its 20mins from my house that I live with parents, managed the library to pick up some books but couldn't go to my lesson and drove all the way home again. I was so ashamed I parked on a side way and spent the next hour and so ( which would have been spent at uni) on phone to friend, readiing so mum would think I went. I dunno what to do as have uni tomoz again. I wanna go, just whole journey there I felt so uncomfortable, like I was suddenly going to flip and go crazy and just needed to return home, return back. When I got to uni, all I could think about was getting back home... running away.. I was going to flip. I feel so crazy and lost. I have had panic attacks since I was 16, but now it's the thoughts that scare me and they have only come the last few months. At home I feel better but still not 100% and I just have to find things to do al the time. I feel like there is no point living when it is like this. I am turning 20 in a month, so should be enjoying life but how it is atm, I really am not!

Re: Can't leave house

Hi Nat, Ive got some info I wrote out, would you like me to send it you via PM?
    Paula x

yes please, that would be nice xx

I completely sympathise-i left Uni last year due to anxiety and am having a hard time too at the moment-Im sorry that I dont have much useful advice but I really hope things get better for you soon! Maybe you could try to let your mum know how you are feeling? It might help a bit if she knew, and you wouldnt have to worry about her finding out you missed uni?? Im not sure! I really hope things improve xxx

Sent x

thank you

Hi Natalie

I think being away from uni for four weeks makes it harder. Your routine is disrupted. The best thing you can do is try and learn to manage the anxiety better when you are out. Can you face smaller challenges things like going out to the shops etc.? If you can feel the anxiety in a situation that you find slightly easier and cope you should then gradually be able to progress once you feel the anxiety is less of a threat. Try and get out as much as you can each day, feel the anxiety but try and 'float' through it. I always found the books by Claire Weekes helpful in this. Get out as much as you can as staying at home won't help deal with it.

Have you seen your doctor? They should be able to offer some help e.g. counselling or medication. It might be worth taking something like Propranolol or another beta blocker in the short term, which helps reduce physical anxiety symptoms (I am currently on this). Your doctor might also think it is worth trying anti-depressants, though these can take a while to work. You aren't going crazy, what you are feeling is normal for an anxiety attack and you can overcome it with the right advice and help.

Tyke

Hi Natalier,

You can get through this, but you will need help, its not something that is easily done on your own. Its really important that you share your fears with friends and family if you have ones that will be understanding. Your GP will be able to refer you for CBT and discuss medication options. Good luck xx

Thank you. I managed to go to uni yesterday though was only for 2 1/2 hours but still managed it. wasen't pleasant though. Went to doctors yesterday,got citilopram. Took it last evening and side effects not good. Felt sick then woke up at 12 and been up since then all hot and horrible so staying at home, missing uni, as exhausted. I hope that's normal side effects and will help me in the long run. xxx

Hi Natalie

Yes, it is quite normal to have unpleasant side effects when you start anti-depressants. I had them with Sertraline, but they did wear off in the end. Everyone is different and how long the drug takes to work and how long the side effects last varies a lot from person to person.

There are a lot of postings on Citalopram under medications in the forum if you wanted to read up on them. There is also a lot of support from the other users of these medicines there if you need it.

Well done for managing uni yesterday while feeling so bad. It is a great achievement and when you start to feel better, you will be really pleased you managed to keep going. It WILL get easier.

Tyke

Thread Information