Thread: Switching to Mirtazapine

Switching to Mirtazapine

Hi all,

It's been a little while since i've posted here. The reason being that after about 6 weeks on the cit, i started feeling a lot better and thought that by being on here, i'd end up revisiting my demons, which would have slowed my recovery.

It's now been 4 months since i was first prescribed AD's. I was until recently still struggling to sleep properly, and the sexual side effects were too much. So i went to my GP and asked if there was an alternative. He suggested a switch to mirtazapine - which i started (this was about a month ago). Initially at 30mg, now upped to 45mg taken before bed.

Mirtazapine is a sedative (more so at lower doses, bizarrely) and helped greatly with getting to sleep - i still wake a few times (usually beween 2 and 6 in the morning).

But the biggest selling point for me was being able to have orgasms again. Prior to taking cit, i was having initermittent problems with ED. The problem was all in my head, something which i denied at the time.

I feel massively groggy in the mornings, but i am experimenting with the times i take the med.

It is also an appetite stimulant, so if you suffer from eating disorders this could be a good med for you. I'm eating like a dog at the moment and i'm going to need to start exercising soon - i can't afford to buy a new set of bigger clothes! If you are already a large person, this might not be the right med for you - unless you have strong will power.

Citalopram was more of a noticeable mood enhancer i think - there were some times on cit that i felt elated for no apparent reason. I haven't noticed that yet with mirt, though i have only just gone up to the higher dose (greater AD power, less sedation).

Anyway, just thought i'd put my experiences down in case they are of any interest. If you are having problems with sleep and sexual type issues, it's probably worth having a go.

I should point out though that it doesn't always work out for everyone - my housemates was on it and he thinks it is evil stuff. I don't really know why, but i know he urinated up his girlfriend's back when he was asleep one night!

Anyway, that's pretty much me done from the cit forum, gonna be heading over to the mirt one now. Thanks to those of you i have had discussions with in the past (if you still browse here).

To anyone else, no matter how useless you may feel at the time, just remember there are a lot of us out here who fully understand how you feel. Depression is a tough illness to beat, but it can be done. Be well and be happy folks. Mark xxx

Re: Switching to Mirtazapine

Hey SS,

Good to hear how you're doing.

Hope the mirtazapine works out well for you...I'd be interested to hear how you compare it with citalopram as time goes on. Keep posting, when you are up to it. X

Re: Switching to Mirtazapine

Quote Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
    Hey SS,

Good to hear how you're doing.

Hope the mirtazapine works out well for you...I'd be interested to hear how you compare it with citalopram as time goes on. Keep posting, when you are up to it. X

Hi ya Happycamper, was wondering if you'd still be about. How are things with you?

I'd say i'm back to my good old self now, no more dark days - which is grand! Just moved house again, living with two lovely people. Really looking forward to summer - everything is as well as it can be really

Thread Information