Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: period stop/start/stop

period stop/start/stop

Hi,

Back in November I was stressed about starting my period early as I was going to be traveling. The day after I traveled I ended up starting spotting as if my body was trying to respond to my fear but not quite in time. I spotted for a week and then my period started on the regular day (I have been about every 32 days for the past two years but up to 35 days - this is really good for me). The next cycle was completely normal. The next month I had some spotting the week after my period after I exercised and I worried about cancer and such but then the next few months have been absolutely normal and I have even had a small spot at about the time of ovulation and as I am 40 I see this as a good sign.
    This month I have been preparing to do some field research and from the mid-cycle slight spotting (once only, not a lot) I presumed I would come on about Thursday. I showed on Tuesday (I normally show the day before) but then I kept spotting a little. Yesterday was day 32 and low and behold my period began heavy. All seemed fine and once I start my period properly it has always stayed and lasts the normal 5-6 days. However when I got up this morning the flow has pretty much stopped again.
    I have been 'wanting' to come on as I am going to be out a lot next week and was hoping that the heavier flow would be over by then. Could this wishing be affecting my hormones and my flow? Last year when I didn't want to come on early (I was going on a field trip and was relieved that my cycles were going to allow me to be period free for the week, unless I had a shorter cycle - which had never happened before ever), I came on day 24, the only time ever, it was as if my body was responding to my worries. Can the mind really affect the flow this precisely?
    I am worried that something has blocked the flow but my flow was normally heavy yesterday afternoon, and although I had some spotting a few months ago this stopped so I assume that if I had something wrong then it would have happened again and again and not go away completely for four months.

Thanks for any input.

Rachel

Re: period stop/start/stop

Hi, just thought I'd mention that my cycle became erratic when I hit 41... after hormone level tests the doctor informed me I was pre-menopausal. Is that a possibility for you I wonder?

The thing is I definitely ovulated this month. I have actually been more regular in the last two years than I have been for my whole life; pretty much 32 days except for one cycle that was 29 and the other 35. The other short one only happened when I feared that I would have an early one. This time I spotted right at the right time, and sometimes I will spot a few days before if I am stressed. I hope that I am not PM because I am hoping to try for a baby.

I am a very stressed person and have been very busy organising for this research. I was hoping to come on so that I would be free and it is always times like this when my body seems to do exactly the opposite of what I want.
    Does anyone know if stress can stop a period? I actually had a little fresh blood when I went to the loo this evening after being out all day, but still no real flow like it was yesterday. There wasn't any brown blood so it is still fresh loss.

I think Rachel that you should keep a record of your periods for a couple of months and see how it all looks and then make an appointment to see your GP to discuss this.

I do believe that if you stress about your period, you can cause variations to it and it does seem generally to be Sod's Law that if you don't want it to happen at a certain point, then it generally will!

I think we ladies all know when there is something not normal about our cycles and it is always worthwhile discussing it with the GP - they can always try meds to regularise them if needed - although you sound as if you are just describing little blips which can happen to anyone.

Your GP could always arrange a simple blood test to see what your fsh levels are like to determine any likely PM.

Yes, I have been keeping track and as I mentioned generally I have been every 32 days. In fact the heavy blood flow on Saturday was right on day 32. It was just the flow issue that concerned me. I lost a little bit more this morning, but only when I wiped. I have had a stressful week, some of it anticipation and nervous excitement. If I go by my family history, my Nan had her two children at 39 and 41 with no issues at all (got pregnant when breastfeeding on the second), my Mum and older sister did not go through menopause until 50s and my cousin (who is the closest non-sibling as she is my Dad's brother's and Mum's sister's daughter) had her first and only child at 41/42 and again, she had no issues conceiving.
    I don't have health insurance right now otherwise I would go as I am due for a pap anyway. I am sure that my anxiety over this is not helping things get back to normal.

As mentioned also, I am more regular now than ever before (except for the odd blip which I think may have become more apparent because of this). My periods themselves are the same as always and I have been having slight spotting mid-cycle which I know is a good sign of regular ovulation despite all of the stress.

Thanks for all the advice.

Just another question. I have had a little blood when I have wiped each time. If I strain a little pink will be present so I think that it is just an issue with getting the flow to start properly rather than spotting. I have heard that an emmenagogue can help in situations like this. I have tried parsley and ginger in the past when I was waiting for a period a few years ago. I wanted to start before a flight and they did not work but I have heard they only really work when your body is getting ready to shed; low and behold I came on right after the flight (obviously I was less stressed about it then) and this was not the situation described above, but a while back. My mind really does seem to affect things.

The general rule is that unless you have less than three periods a year, then you're probably fine. Hormones and stress do affect your cycles, I've had girls panic during exam time because of missed periods. A lot of women who want to have regular periods actually have to take the pill in order to achieve this, but I understand you want to be able to try for a baby.

I think if you really are worried about it do try and talk to a doctor, if stress does affect your periods it will also affect your chances of getting pregnant.

Are you actively trying for a baby at the moment?

No, I have been with my boyfriend for 11 years, but due to my OCD he fears that I won't be able to handle motherhood. I KNOW myself and know that I could be a good Mum. My OCD has always gotten better when I have joy in my life and I can't think of anything better than a child of my own. People may wonder but I know myself and know that I would be fine and put the child first. Plus I can do things when I need to; psychologically it helps me cope. Also, I work full-time usually, I do everything when I need to so I could definitely do everything with a child. The only thing I am nervous with is public bathrooms, but I would have to figure that out.
    He wants children but we also live in a small apartment and we hope to move at the end of this year. I think the main thing is he sees me making an effort and doing a lot with my life, but he wants our living situation to be perfect and he does not understand that the clock is ticking for me. Even if I could have a child at 45, there is a higher risk that something could go wrong.

I am doing this field research for a few months and then I hope to go back to full-time work with benefits. I plan on going to the doctor then for a complete check-up. I may then have the doctor explain all of the possible issues with leaving it longer to him so that he may understand. Because I have been having health anxiety I think he thinks that it is me worrying for nothing. But as I said, I am not saying I can't have children past the age of 41 but that it gets harder.

An update though; my flow has become a little better. Not direct flow but yesterday I had blood every time I went to the loo (when I wiped: sorry if TMI).
    The thing is my cycles have been very regular, it is just the flow this time which is strange. I was worried about a blockage but the flow in Saturday PM was pretty normal and the blood is always fresh when it comes down. I have been stressed (my stomach is in knots this morning in anticipation of the research today). I hope that once I am out in the field I will begin to relax like on Saturday and all will be well.

Ah well that rules out the funny periods being due to miscarriage (I didn't want to say, but 1 in 3 pregnancies end without women really knowing they are pregnant except for their periods late and heavy).

I think if you think you can cope with having a baby you will! Of course you're going to worry as you get older, though my Mum had me at 41 and my sister at 45 and we are both fine.

It is just a stupid flow issue. I had a similar issue in my early 20s due to stress, but this was more prolonged spotting for three months due to stress and BC was used to get them back to normal. I just want it to start so that my next cycle will hopefully be on target. I have also had an upset stomach today as I have been nervous, and also drinking parsley tea (LOL). I just need to relax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information