Hi,

Back in November I was stressed about starting my period early as I was going to be traveling. The day after I traveled I ended up starting spotting as if my body was trying to respond to my fear but not quite in time. I spotted for a week and then my period started on the regular day (I have been about every 32 days for the past two years but up to 35 days - this is really good for me). The next cycle was completely normal. The next month I had some spotting the week after my period after I exercised and I worried about cancer and such but then the next few months have been absolutely normal and I have even had a small spot at about the time of ovulation and as I am 40 I see this as a good sign.
This month I have been preparing to do some field research and from the mid-cycle slight spotting (once only, not a lot) I presumed I would come on about Thursday. I showed on Tuesday (I normally show the day before) but then I kept spotting a little. Yesterday was day 32 and low and behold my period began heavy. All seemed fine and once I start my period properly it has always stayed and lasts the normal 5-6 days. However when I got up this morning the flow has pretty much stopped again.
I have been 'wanting' to come on as I am going to be out a lot next week and was hoping that the heavier flow would be over by then. Could this wishing be affecting my hormones and my flow? Last year when I didn't want to come on early (I was going on a field trip and was relieved that my cycles were going to allow me to be period free for the week, unless I had a shorter cycle - which had never happened before ever), I came on day 24, the only time ever, it was as if my body was responding to my worries. Can the mind really affect the flow this precisely?
I am worried that something has blocked the flow but my flow was normally heavy yesterday afternoon, and although I had some spotting a few months ago this stopped so I assume that if I had something wrong then it would have happened again and again and not go away completely for four months.

Thanks for any input.

Rachel