Thread: Exercise

Exercise

I have found exercise to be a great help for the depression I get along with anxiety. I understand it's very hard to make those first steps, but I just thought to myself there isn't any shame to starting small. So at first I just went for a run for maybe 10 minutes a day. I mean, if people see you, they don't know if you have been runnning 1 minute or 2 hours, so that is how I dealt with my worries about what people thought about me. Over time I've built it up and now I run 6 miles a day and feel much better. I do get anxiety attacks whilst I am running sometimes (the fact my heart is already beating fast and I'm breathing fast probably contributes) but you'e got to get home so I normally carry on or just pause for a moment to try and gather myself together.

Re: Exercise

I have also found that exercise really helps with my own depression. Most probably better than anything else Ive ever tried. Fortunately I dont get anxiety attacks whilst exercising. The other people stuff is much less of an issue the more I just make myself get on with it.
    6 miles sounds fantastic, are you training for anything? I dont think Im fit enough or suitable for running yet. I did start running back in february, just a few hundred metres at a time and hopefully I will get back to it again .. it was my only new years resolution lol.
    Good luck with your running.

Thanks!

Running is something you have to ease yourself into but then you tend to get good at it quite fast.

I am just trying at the moment to be able to run 6 miles in an hour. I set myself new goals every now and then. Eventually I would like to run a half marathon.

You're welcome.
    Good luck breaking the 6 miles in an hour goal. That half marathon doesn't sound very far away for you.
    My weight is just too high at the moment to try to start the running again, I will manage it again. I am just walking a lot and Ive got a spinning bike I use nearly every day. I do need to do a bit more though and Im thinking about sorting out some classes or something soon.

running is amazing! Personally i couldn't be without exercise! only problem is the effect 'wears off'. i worry about when i get older (like bus-pass age!) what I'm going to do instead to help me....

excersise bike is good for indoors. bike riding in the country i also do tai chi which is helpful for relaxing. theirs a great book by master lam kam cheuen chi kung called is the way of energy standing still to get fit. you can get on amazon any age can do it helps with depression and helps with any illness you get.

pleased the exercise is working for you i really want to start exercising more but i cant bare the thought of my heart racing due to the awful panic attacks i suffer from :(

I'm glad you've found something to help I find that exercising helps a lot too although I need to motivate myself more to do it more often!

For me it helps knowing that I'm the one raising my heartbeat rather than the panic when I'm just sitting at my desk in work or something, does that make sense?

YEs i am agree with u that exercises are best for managing stress . But which exercises yes ofcourse Yoga is best for managing stress . Yoga is best for relaxing our body muscles and it's best for mental health .

Thread Information