Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amitriptyline extremely sleepy

Amitriptyline extremely sleepy

I am prescribed 15mg of Amitriptyline once per night for my anxiety and panic disorder,
    I feel extremely sleepy for the whole day
    are there any better alternative drug?
    thank you

p.s.
    I have ever tried fluoxetine (Prozac) which cause me extreme weight gain that I can't bear

Re: Amitriptyline extremely sleepy

The sedative effect wore off for me after 2 weeks. I went up to 30mg felt sleepy again for about a week then felt no different to I did before I started taking it.

The sedative effect wore off but just tiny
    I went up to 15mg for several months
    still very sleepy till now

Hi, I started on 10mg, then to 25mg, then to 50mg, now on 75mg (started last night). I was told to take at 7pm so that the sleepy hungover effects have worn off by morning. I was also told that the dose for anxiety/depression is 50-75mg I found that 25mg didn't have any effect at all.....just my observations but may help to take earlier in the evening.

Hi, I have been on 10mg for over a year, I felt very groggy in the first few weeks then after that they hardly seemed to affect me at all really. I have just been put up to 20mg (started Saturday) and I am back to feeling sluggish and tired like I did in the early days before, hopefully it will subside as my body becomes more tollerant again. On the up side it does seem to have sorted out the physical symptoms I was getting.

i'm back on them 10mg anight to start with and deffo agree feeling the effects of the sleepyness but i remembered after few weeks it does wear of so i'm gunna remain on them for now and see what happens , its like doc said they can cause palpations but just see how i feel with it ,,

Quote Originally Posted by ciccone-hassell View Post
    i'm back on them 10mg anight to start with and deffo agree feeling the effects of the sleepyness but i remembered after few weeks it does wear of so i'm gunna remain on them for now and see what happens , its like doc said they can cause palpations but just see how i feel with it ,,
    Hi Ciccone-hassell

Are you still taking amitriptyline and what you taking them for? I am on 50mg for axiety and depression and was wandering what you thought of them and what dose do you take. I originally took citalopram and they worked for me after 6 months but i stopped them and crashed so when I went back to them they just didnt work so I am on these now.

Cathy xx

I have been on 40mg citalopram for a few months, have had anxiety problems for years and have tried a lot of Anti-depressants. I was on Tradazone, but due to a lot of recent panic attacks, was put on Pregabalin and Citalopram and it really did seem to help However the downside was the constant clenching my Jaw as a side effect, as one of the main problems for my recent panic attacks was dental issues and TMJ I realised I had to stop them due to the pain I was getting in my head and jaw. My GP suggested reducing the citalopram to 20mg and prescribed 10mg of Amitriptyline. It did not help, so I stopped the Citalopram and am now on 20mg or Amitriptyline.

The problem now is the anxiety is coming back and I am getting flushes of panic,
    I just don't know what do do next. I am sure my GPs are getting fed up with me,

My doctor told me yesterday that they no longer prescribe Amitriptyline as an anti-anxiety medication and GP's should not be giving it to people for this.

It is now used for pain relief and conditions like chronic fatigue syndrome.

They are suggesting I have it (possibly) for carpal tunnel syndrome but I don't think I will try it as she said it will make me sleepy and feel hungover in the morning so I don't want that.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I had physio for my carpel tunnel and it did the trick.

Cathy xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information