Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warning - Daily Mail article..

Re: Warning - Daily Mail article..

Hang on, giving birth is a matter of a day or so, depression and anxiety can be years...!

I agree though, it isn't possible to generalise depression and anxiety, as it affects people so differently from one major episode to many years without any real resolution. Therefore null and void one thinks...?

Like the story says, it can be positive if we can use it to re-evaluate and make changes for a better life and we can be a lot happier as a result. I think it is easier if you have a clear idea of what led you to be depressed, but that's not the case for everyone. I think it makes a difference whether or not you frequently suffer with depression or can just see it as an isolated episode. In the case of the latter it is easier to be more positive. Our choices are also limited by circumstances - depression always increases during a recession as people lose jobs, face redundancy and have fewer opportunities. Helen McNallen has obviously found her niche in life and I am very pleased for her, but sadly not everyone will.

Tyke

It was good to read Michael Douglas is doing ok after the year he had last in 2011

Think of giving birth, anyone would do that again, even with the excrutiating pain, you just forget.
    I wouldn't !! Did it once nearly 14 years ago and never again. I've been paranoid about 'getting pregnant' ever since.

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

You know what, I quite like that article...considering it is the Daily Mail and I think they are akin to the anti-Christ.

As some of you may be bored with hearing, I had catastrophic anxiety and depression following the birth of my daughter, which was the culmination of 15 years of panic disorders. I was hospitalised and like the person writing the article was even given a course of ect. It changed me, for the better, it was indeed a life-changing experience....it was hell on earth....but my silver lining is that it entirely reviewed my outlook on everything once I had recovered. I am not the same person as I was before that terrible event in my life, the odd day of stress and panic doesn't touch me anymore really. I can cope with anything that life throws at me now.

However, I can see how those with chronic depression might feel offended by the article. I think the one thing that this article does not do is define the different types of depression that exist and the multiple reasons for them. It is too generic in its treatment of 'depression'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information