Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supermarket Panic.

Supermarket Panic.

Can anybody tell me how on earth I get over this daft supermarket panic? I leave the house with such good intentions and then when I get there everything looks wrong and a wave of panic sweeps over me. I seem to be getting worse not better and the thing is I love shopping and really miss it. This morning I got as far as the door, but for the first time ever, I walked away. I am just so tired of it all. I have made my mind up to go back again later, but I am not optimistic. Once you have walked away, the damage is done really isn't it?
    Feeling sorry for myself today!
    Christine

Hi Christine

Well done with attempt at going there in the first place. It does get you tired but I am glad to hear that you intend to have another attempt, because this is the only way really. The damage is far from being 'done' - you just took a step in the right direction to 'un-do' anything that may have planted itself in your mind - a pat on the back is more appropriate here.

When you say "everything looks wrong" was exacty do you mean? I have heard a lot of sufferers say that the light affect them - one said that the hight of the aisles do. What both of these elements are doing is exactly the same as they do for 'normal people' that is making them feel a bit unreal, but they don't take the thoughts any further, as we tend to. Feeling unreal is one of our 'symptoms' at times and this just reminds us of that - then puts our memories in gear!

Go again as soon as you can - sounds bad advice, I know, but I also know that it works and will move you forward.

Good luck and take care.

Red
    x

Hiya Christine

I just had to reply to this as I know exactly what you mean about the panic sweeping over you and everything 'not looking right'.
    I have been unable to leave the house for months last year and am now only just properly getting out of the house alone and doing shopping etc.

In fact ive just got in from sainsburys...the fourth week in a row that ive been on my own with no incident!!!

The way ive gotten through it is by making sure ive got my mobile with me, a bottle of water and my rescue remedy.

I do the shopping little and often so ive not got a huge trolley to unload and queue up for and I know that at any point I can abandon the trolley and leave and no one will see me do it!!!!( I just use the small trolleys that you put the pound in so I cant fill it up too much and I still have something to lean on if I feel dizzy).

You can do it, believe me i know how you feel but if I, (a mad former agoraphobic) can do it then so can you...lol. You will get there, it just takes practice and determination...hard I know but definately possible.

love Sarah
    xx

Christine,

My battle with Asda has been well documented here!!!

Unfortunately, you just have to stick with it and, although the horrible unreal feelings and panics, still occur, it WILL get easier!!

Take it from someone who definately knows!!!

Kate x

Sarah,

Well Done mate on tackling the supermarket run alone!!

Kate x

Hi Christine,sorry to hear you are having it rough just now.
    I am a new member but have been through all the same stuff.
    I coped like Sarah,making sure I had my paper bag to help with
    the breathing & rescue remedy,mobile phones were not invented
    when I was at my worst (lol) so had to rely on what I had.
    You will do it & it will get better,honest.
    love Kiz

Thank you, you are all so lovely. I am going out now to have another go. I'm not hopeful because I am already anxious before I get there, but I will report back later.
    Wish me luck, I mean, wish me no panic!
    Christine

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

Christine,

Good Luck!!!!

I don't think the damage was done because you walked away but as you know you must try and try again. The longer it goes on the worse it can get.
    I'm not a big fan of supermarkets myself (even b4 anxiety kicked in) but it is neccesary to keeo going,

Good Luck and let us know how you get on
    Lucky

Good Luck, Christine!!!!

We are all thinking of you!!!!

[^] Kate x

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information