Thread: Cats, seeing one dead when out

Cats, seeing one dead when out

This is my first posting and was so glad to find this forum.
    This phobia started about 7 years ago, I love cats and I'm sure it was triggered when a bus I was on hit a cat.
    When I'm out and about or travelling, I'm so nervous of a cat running out, one already hit, and it is ruining my life.
    My friends could witness this and whilst it isn't nice to see, it doesn't affect them like it does me.

Is this a rare phobia?

Re: Cats, seeing one dead when out

I don't want to say it's rare because I think you are right and that it was triggered by you being on a bus that hit a cat. Not as many people have experienced that. It is important to remember that everyone is different, and what some people may find disturbing others shrug off. It's like scary movies, people are affected by them to different degrees.

You say it's ruining your life, can you explain how? Is it harder for you to get out of the house and stuff? If it is I would talk to a doctor about it.

Re: Cats, seeing one dead when out

I don't think that you have a fear of seeing a dead cat. It would seem that you are afraid of bad things happening and that you somehow influence this? Is that correct? A good therapist would enable you to confront your fear and help you feel better. Many years ago I was held up on a train that had run over a cow. Well there was this dead cow on the line. Very distressing and held us up for over an hour. It wasn't anyones fault. The poor animal had strayed onto the line. Consequently you will begin to see that the bus running over the cat was nobodys fault. The cat kept running and the bus could not avoid it. Take care. EJ.

Thread Information