Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benefits Stopped!?

Benefits Stopped!?

After being on Employment and Support Allowance for 15months for Agoraphobia, Social Anxiety and Depression the benefits agency decided i needed to have a medical to see whether i was still entitled to sick pay. I couldnt go to out to the appointment so they had to come to me(you'd think this would have convinced them of my problem) On arrival he started testing me on things like, Bending, Sitting, Standing etc None of which is affected by any of my problems, he asked me to lay on the sofa so he could see how i manage getting in and out of bed, I refused to do it, He was a stranger and i felt vulnerable. He asked me questions about getting the bus, i explained that i dont use the bus because i dont leave the house. Then he asked about going to the corner shop to which i replied the same. An hour of pointless questions passed and he left. A week later i received a letter stating that my benefit was being stopped immediately because apparently i am fit for work?! How can i possibly go out and get a job? I couldnt even go to an interview let alone go to work and now im going to be expected to go to the jobcentre every week to sign on, i just cant do it, i freak out when i have to go to the doctors or counselling and they're in relatively secluded places and are always quiet. Our Jobcentre is always packed with people, i cant do it and i wont. Now im scared, i have two kids and i only have their tax credit coming in once a week which isnt a lot, £98 to live on a week. Thats tv licence, Electric, Gas, Water, shopping and kids clothes to buy with just £98. Ive appealed their decision, my doctor has wrote them a letter but now everyday i wake with a massive weight on my shoulders while i await the outcome. Cant help but cry because i feel helpless, just dont know what to do.

Re: Benefits Stopped!?

That is terrible! Hopefully the doctors letter will help xx

Hi Sareloug,The same thing happened to me, but i went along for the interview, and like you recieved al letter saying i only had 6 points when in fact i neede 10, and that my benefit would be stopped. However if you have appealed you will continue to get your esa at the lower rate untill they look into it, you will have your chance to fill in a form and dispute the decision. if you are so worried ring the dss and get them to confirm this. it is terrible the way we are treated when claiming esa, but try not to worry to much, i'm sure you will find it will work out ok. take care

Hi Sarelou,
    Have you applied for DLA?

I havent even considered claiming DLA, i didnt even think i'd be entitled to it, or wouldnt know how to go about claiming it. They're even mucking me around with my rent and council tax benefit now so my landlady is starting to get edgy coz her rent has been put on hold. If you've read any of my past threads you'll see that i dont have a lot of luck but this is starting to get ridiculous, i just keep thinking to myself...Whats gonna go wrong next??

Hi saralou, the same thing happened to me aswell, I went to the assesment and they got me to bend and strech, I mean what the hell has that got to do with anxiety? Anyway I lost my ESA because I got 0 points. I didnt appeal and am now claiming jobseekers but someone I know did appeal and she won her case. Youl still get your ESA if youl appeal. So dont worry too much, im sure you will be ok.

Best of luck

Will the Citizens Advice not help you fill the forms in?

Appeal!! Get someone to help you. CAB or a mental health charity. DON'T apply for DLA by yourself, again try a mental health charity.

Best of Luck!

Haz.x

Thanks to everyone who replied, i really appreciate your advice and i will certainly be looking into DLA, aswell as CAB to help get it sorted, im jut hoping it gets sorted soon, we cant survive on peanuts xx

If you appeal they'll restart your payments whilst the appeals process is going on. That at least buys you a few more months.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information