Thread: Exercise? I hate exercise!

Question Exercise? I hate exercise!

So many people say exercise is best thing for mental health and usually I'm pretty good at doing anything I think will help my mood. Problem is I don't like exercise. My questions are do people really feel exercise is that good at helping? Is there anyone like me who just plain doesn't enjoy things like being covered in sweat, being in pain as you try to run or get fit, trying to find time to fit excercise in etc?

People say you just need 30mins exercise a day - ok 30mins exercise plus 15mins either side to change, shower or even travel somewhere to get exercise that you mildly enjoy! How do people find the time and motivation?

Ok - rant over...

Re: Exercise? I hate exercise!

There is a lot of research to say that exercise improves mood, the problem is finding the motivation to start in the first place ! Depression and anxiety causes one to feel fatigued, demotivated, low , worried.. and it can be very hard to take the initial first step.

I think exercise could be easier if you got a friend to come along with you for the motivation.

Start out with something very simple, especially if you haven't done exercise is a while. Yes, 30 minutes about 3 times a week I think is the recommendation, but you can start off with lower, try 15 minutes , or a 30 minute walk once a week, then next week try it twice, then three times.

Start out with small steps that you can manage and you won't feel frustrated at yourself.

Yep, exercise definatley improves my mood and helps with my anxiety. You don't have to go out to do it, you can buy a fitness DVD and exercise in the comfort of your own living room or bedroom. That way you can go at your own pace and stop and shower imediatley afterwards. Some of the fitness DVDs have really good music and are really fun too not to mention a great workout.

There's games out there for the Wii and Kinect (maybe ps move? idk I don't have one) that are really fun and a really good workout if it's an option you might be interested in. There's proper exercise ones and dancing ones that really get you motivated! xx

Get a dog and take it for two walks a day... or just walk for half an hour a day.. you don't need to do strenuous exercise classes! I walk dogs for 2 hours a day, and I find it energizes me

Walking is certainly a good idea and something my wife and I do like. I think its the depression talking but sometimes we just dont find the time and maybe its a case of prioritising it rather than saying we'll go for a walk if we get everything else finished.

I probably also struggle in social situations with negative thoughts so thats probably another reason I dislike sports. Always felt I didnt fit in at things like team sports etc.

When I started exercise I just went running for 10 minutes a day. I didn't like what people thought about me either, but then I realised they don't know if you've been running for 1 minute or 2 hours. Do just start off slowly and see how you go.

Lol. I like that idea - if anyone asks I can say several miles! Might try running - even make a point of only doing 10mins for a week or two.

Thanks

Thread Information