Thread: 1 year on escitalopram

1 year on escitalopram

About a year ago my GP decided to swap me from citalopram to escitalopram as the normal citalopram just wasn't working for me! About 6-8 weeks into the escitalopram ( 10 mg ) I felt good but their was what I believe was a side effect of the tablet that was causing me grief. All of a sudden my stomach started to churn or seem to be more active than before and I started to get what I can only describe as a feeling of something being constantly stuck in my throat making it hard to swallow or eat. My GP seems to think it might be GERD due to the increase of stomach acid in the stomach caused by my anxiety and prescribed me yet more pills ( ranitidine and lately omeprazole )
    They don't seem to be helping, I have this feeling in my throat on and off all day, my GP assures me it's all anxiety related but I can't accept that anymore now. I know escitalopram is not kind to the stomach ( nausea ) but it doesn't say anything about this hairball/lump in throat sensation I've been experiencing this last year! Can anyone relate to these symptoms as I'm going out of my mind here thinking something is wrong and especially being a smoker I'm thinking I have developed throat cancer! Don't you just love anxiety!!

Re: 1 year on escitalopram

Hi,

I haven't experienced this as a result of being on Escitalopram. I used to get pains in my chest and throat as a result of anxiety however.

Its not a symptom I have heard of on this forum as a side effect of Escit either??

If you are really not happy go back and speak to your doctor again, my mum had a throat cancer scare last year but a feeling of a lump in her throat wasn't one of her symptoms.

Sorry thats not been much help really has it.

x

Hi Rene

I am not a doctor nor professional, but I would be inclined to side with your doc on this being anxiety...It is hard to believe but escitalopram seems to take quite a bit more time to get you to a good level.

One thing to observe, is your tongue pushed up to the roof of your mouth? This is anxiety tensing you up, as well as jaw clenching (which can be the meds or anxiety...)

When you notice the "lump" in your throat try drinking some water, then do a few deep breathing exercise, inhale through the nose hold for a few seconds and exhale through the mouth. Do this ten - fifteen times and see if it helps....

I hope this helps...take care

Thanks for your comments both very helpful. One thing I have noticed is that the lump in throat sensation seems to happen when I'm anxious, and probably explains why it comes and goes during the course of the day and aggitated by stimulants like tea or nicotine!
    Ive started to do breathing/relaxation techniques again like you said and it's helped especially as their are a few good relaxation apps on the iPhone ( Pzizz is a good one ) which I can plug in the headphones and forget the world for 20-40 minutes.
    Funny thing is I don't get no symptoms or anxiety sensations when I sleep

I am glad you have found a way to ease yourself through the rough spots. Just remember it will be a short period and soon you will be feeling better.

I too have an iPhone and find there are good apps out there to relax to. Sleep is important too, make sure you are getting enough.

And I will say this to you only once (so it doesn't sound like nagging...), now, maybe consider giving up the smoking....I know it is a diffcult process, but just consider it. When you are feeling better try then....

Take care

Thread Information