Thread: Depression and fish oil _ it works!

Depression and fish oil _ it works!

http://www.fightingdepression.co.uk/...%5Fdepression/

Hope it helps someone.
    Helped me.

I am on normal pharmacy grade 1000mg fish oil wih 180epa and 120dha and 3.3mg vit e. I take 9-12 caps a day along with lexapro.
    P.S. Pharmacy grade basically means they test for mercury and pesticides.

I have written many things about this and cant tell you how much it has helped my mood. Yes I have down times but much less than before - much more stable. (and at the hardest tiem of my life)

P.S. akes a while to build up and no you dont overdose! Try one pilla day but build up till you feel effect. Talk to Dr I guess first if you have a blood disorder or diabetese etc. It is natural fish oil thats all, like eating fish!

It works wonders for me. (and many many other studies from sktizophrenia (sp), bi polar/depression/anxiety/sleep. Proven in studies, not crap. Genunine medical and psychiatry controlled studies.... None of this... Oh we think the anti depressant works by.......

What does EPA do? The science bit

Low levels of EPA are associated with a slowing of brain activity, owing to a hardening of the phospholipid layers, which slow cell signalling. This decreased communication between brain cells can lead to symptoms of depression . However, taking EPA can reverse this harmful process by increasing the amount of phospholipids in brain-cell membranes and the membrane fluidity. This has a positive effect on neurotransmitters and enhances electrical messaging in the brain.

As a result of extensive clinical trials, EPA has been found to be beneficial for:

Lower cholesterol
    depression (often linked with anxiety)
    bipolar disorder
    schizophrenia
    OCD (often linked with anxiety)
    Low moods (often linked with anxiety)
    Heart health
    Huntington ’s
    Concentration (often linked with anxiety)
    ADHD
    ADD

Chop

Learning to under react

very informative post chop :-)

Hi Chop

Thanks for that - it's hard for people like me with health anxiety to find really useful information without stumbling across stuff we don't need to know! That was really really useful and I'm glad it's helping.

Do you think you can get enough by eating lots of fish?

Hope you're ok today xxxxx

Fee xxxxxx
    www.like2like.com

Why live life anticipating the bad things when you could be anticipating the good?
    Good and bad things WILL happen!

Glad I was a help.

Well they say the countries that eat lots of fish have almost no depression so maybe you could but these countries (in my opinion) have less stressors too so may not be only the fish.

But they dont tell you to go off meds but I have noticed fish oil controls my mood much better than other drugs.

they have done proper in patient psychiatry studies & med tests (can find on net again), where they have withdrawn the mood stabiliser drug and replaced with high doses of fish oil Double blind studies -without patients knowing what they are taking) (HIGH) and worked wonders. They sill keep them on some of the other drugs though. it is not a replacement but certainly enhances it.

In mild depression, it may be all tht is needed.

In large amounts, its actually a natural benzo like valium lol. (but not harmful or adictive)

So anyway, it works and if you look around at non commercial sites, you will see the studies I mean. There are many dedicated medical sites that do not sell the stuff and just show the results from studies and they are all positive.

At worst, it can only help overall health and brain function anyway.
    Also, at worst can only help the brains signals to work well and respond to any meds your on for this.

P.S. Must be fish oil, NOT cod liver oil.

Only draw back is the high dose needed (think how much oil is in an oily fish though - LOTS - so you are really not taking much anyway) but they are cheap and natural and overall good for you so who cares

Cheers
    Chop

Learning to under react

Hi
    I want to thank you for the link about EPA's.I read it with great interest. I watched a tv prog about a severely depressed teenager who was successfully treated in this way. Why don't they prescribe these on the NHS, are they busy concluding tests or something!! I am dealing with anxiety, but am reluctant to try these if there isn't enough evidence that validates safety and correct amounts to be taken.
    I guess I need to do more research! I am feeding myself and family as much fish as the'll eat!!
    I am really happy for you that these have worked.
    Have you ever tried CBT and found it helped?
    TA!
    Cat

Thread Information