Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Pregabalin & Anxiety mini story!!

Re: My Pregabalin & Anxiety mini story!!

I think it would wise to go back to your doctor and explain how the Pregabalin isn't helping much at the dose you are prescribed and that you would like to increase. It can be difficult to be assertive with doctors but you have to do what's right for you. Some doctors don't like to be told they are incorrect or contradicted but if you approach it in a non judgmental, factual manner and explain that you have done a bit of research and discovered that the guidelines say that 600mg Pregabalin is the maximum daily dose.

The BNF, which in the UK is the doctors medicine bible, states that between 300-600mg is the recommended daily dose of Pregabalin for anxiety, it's there in black and white. There are many research papers that have concluded that doses of 400mg-600mg a day are most efficacious. Some people will respond to 300mg a day but the majority will need more.

Good luck x

Hi i asked my psychiatrist today if she would prescribe me pregabalin for my anxiety and she looked at me shocked and then reeled off all the bad side effects it can bring and she doesn't prescribe it as its not in the nice guidelines?? I was really disappointed as have read some good success stories of this med x x

I've tried Citalopram, Mirtazapine & Venlafaxine for anxiety. All made me worse. Finally saw an NHS psychiatrist today who prescribed Pregabalin. It's really encouraging to read some of these stories. I'm putting all my faith in this medication, and feel slightly more positive already. Good luck everyone !!!

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Quote Originally Posted by nicola1980 View Post
    Hi i asked my psychiatrist today if she would prescribe me pregabalin for my anxiety and she looked at me shocked and then reeled off all the bad side effects it can bring and she doesn't prescribe it as its not in the nice guidelines?? I was really disappointed as have read some good success stories of this med x x
    Nicola that is terrible...................can you not ask her to check ...this is so wrong!

I am amazed that your psychiatrist told you that Nicola - here is a link to the NICE guidelines for the treatment of GAD http://publications.nice.org.uk/trea...ffered-for-gad dated Jan 2011 - so nearly 3 years old.
    1st line treatment is a SSRI
    2nd line is a SRNI
    3rd line is Pregabalin
    The last psych I saw said it is now a 2nd line treatment for anxiety, straight after SSRI's have been tried.
    I hope you're OK Nicola, I thought you were doing OK on your current meds?

Hi Sam, i seem to be having a major blip and the anxiety has been overwhelming to be honest its never really left me fully, i can have a good few weeks but then it hits me again, i thought adding pregaclin in with my venlafaxine might help and allow me to eventually to be able to come off diazepam for good but she wouldn't budge and was adamant she wouldn't and doesn't prescribe it which shocked me as she is in charge of a psychiatric ward too and is quite up on her meds but nope she refused point blank :( x x

Hi Nicola,

I'm with Sarah and Sam on this - the doc is wrong. Pregabalin has been approved for generalized anxiety in the UK since (I think) 2006. How many years does it take a psychiatrist to become aware of that? As for the list of side effects, every drug has them.

If your doctor will not prescribe pregabalin, ask for a second opinion. I think this is a formal right that a doctor cannot refuse.

Hi, my problem is my psychiatrist prescribes all my medication so my gp won't prescribe but i will mention it to him but i doubt he will override my psychiatrist :( i was very disappointed when she said no x x

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

I would print off the Nice guidelines and show them to her................If she still wont budge ask for a second opinion..........legally you can ask to be referred as many times as you want on the NHS, to anywhere in the country....................good luck Nicola

Thanks Sarah, think i will as Im really struggling anxiety wise at the min x x

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information