Thread: Illogical fear of melanoma?

Illogical fear of melanoma?

All my previous health anxiety issues have been based on something that's happened, i.e. my gran's death from mnd or comments from doctors etc but for the first time I've become freaked out without any external influence. I have suddenly become paranoid I have skin cancer. I have no real reason to think I do.... It's all based on two moles.... one of which I've as long as I can remember so about 20 years with no noticeable change (it's still small - about 2mm but it is not perfectly symmetrical or round but like I said there's been no change as long as I've noticed it). And one which is tiny (<1mm) which is pale but may have a tiny white dot on it. But I don't have any large moles and there's no history of skin cancer in my family.

Is this anything to worry about? and how to stop worrying?

Re: Illogical fear of melanoma?

it should be fine ,you mind has a nasty habbit of playing ticks with you.i have similar issues and stare at the same lumps all the time and when im the most anxious they seem to have got bigger.And im sure if they were anyting bad they would of changed by now,i know its fine but keep coming on here as i havent felt too bad for nearly 6 months and this is the first time in ages ive come on here,it really does help people know what your going through i know it sounds hard to belive but you are fine and you just need to start trying to change the way you see things i had CBT was fab ,take care,rikki.xx

i had a lot of anxiety over melanoma too. It's very easy to let it take over. Best thing is to go and see the dr, they can tell instantly if it needs checking out but it seems from what you say like they're fine. Melanoma is actually still relatively rare if you read the statistics (though there are other less dangerous forms of skin cancer that are more common).
    Thing is though, sounds like you have health anxiety so even if the dr gives you the all clear on this - which I am sure they will - just watch out that the anxiety doesn't transfer itself to something else....

Instant Message me if you want to chat about this more. Also, skin cancer is unlikely to crop up in areas that haven't got sunburned, etc

I have the same fear! I've even had moles removed/biopsied and everything was fine so far. My fear is based on having risk factors - blonde/blue eyes, in between fair and olive skin, and used tanning beds in the past. Luckily I have very few moles so it should be easy to spot anything new, but this feeling that it's inevitable is ruining me at the moment....I have no idea where my fear started either. All my logical thinking has just gone away :(

My auntie had a melanoma and I saw it and believe me it looks horrid. It was a jet black scab like thing about half an inch across with a deep red inflamed area around it. She had this 20 years ago and is now 82 and fine.

Obviously I have increased risk as all the females in my family are covered in moles and skin tags and cherry angionomas etc etc but have to say that having seen one you would not think it was anything other than nasty.

I have alot of very dark brown tiny splodges with irregualr edges - they have appeared over past 25 years and have had them all checked out, the last one I had ultraviolet light shone on it so they can see underneath and told they are just a dark freckle.

countrygirl - you are spot on. Melanomas are something that the Dr will want investigated immediately. But amateurs see any freckle or mole and can fantasise about it being a problem. I know I can!

Thread Information