Thread: Agoraphobic??

Agoraphobic??

Hello there, my names Lyndsey. Im new to this forum I think I may have a form of Agoraphobia. Im not sure how it started, I remember I was in the car with my friend, on our way to Birmingham, when suddenly a huge panic attack came over me. That was last September and ever since then Ive had constant panic attacks. I have learned how to calm them slightly when they arise, but now I feel like the only place I feel completely safe is my home, or wherever my Boyfriend is. Its become a struggle to even get my usual bus, things that I use to love like going away on Holiday I now hate the thought of, I feel terrified on Trains when I used to love Train journeys. Its very depressing as Im only 23 and should be enjoying my life. I feel like its hurting my boyfriend aswell as we havent spent a night apart ever since I started having panick attacks, I always feel like If I do stay alone at night, something terrible will happen and nobody will be around to help me. Any advice would be much appreciated as Im at the end of my tether with this :( Also, I have a train journey to London coming up and I just dont think I can do it

Thankyou.

Re: Agoraphobic??

Hi Lyndsey, welcome to the forum, good to have you with us. Will send you a PM. x
    Paula x

Hello and welcome to NMP. It does sound like you have become agoraphobic. Agoraphobia doesn't literally mean that you can't leave the house, it means that you have panic attacks when you do certain things outside of your safety zone (just like you describe).

When I was much younger I suffered from severe anxiety and agoraphobia and made a complete recovery to the point that I was able to commute on a bus for 2 hours per day and work in an office in quite a stressful job! I now have agoraphobia again but I know that because I've beaten it before I will beat it again. You will beat it to. It just takes time and a lot of effort. But you will get there in the end.

Have you seen a Dr about this or had any counselling? It might be time to try anti-depressants to break the anxiety cycle you are in. Good luck. xxx

Thankyou very much, it does help to know that I can get over it, and at least it hasnt reached severe point yet. I constantly try to do the things that terrify me, the worst and most recent being an hour long train journey to York. I had to make my boyfriend talk to me continuesly to distract me. I havent had any counselling yet but I would really love some, I just dont know where to get started, especially since I cant afford to pay for it :(

The first thing you need to do is go and see your Dr. Depending on what you tell them they will decide whether meds are appropriate for you. They can also put you on the waiting list for CBT counselling.

Thread Information