Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Citalopram

Bong - Hope you are bearing up OK. No, I'm not on any medication, the whole citalopram episode was enough to put me off trying meds for life. Although to be honest, I'm not sure I need them at the moment anyway.
    I thought for a while that I couldnt possibly get better without tablets but after having months of CBT and doing it religiously I can honestly say there has been a ten fold improvement.
    When I was on citalopram the horrid thoughts were the worse for me - they seemed to put things in my mind that werent there before and even after stopping the treatment I was left with the psychological consequences of taking them. That said, my CPN was convinced that if I had given them a little more time then they would have worked for me - and they might for you! Please tell me if I have scared you by telling you my bad experience - I know this drug works wonders for some people! Clare. xxx

*I think, therefore I am.*

Hi clare!How long were you on them?
    Im finding theres a def increase in thoughts at moment, but what would i have been like if i hadet been taking them write now i ask myself?Think when seen cardio i will up them and if that doesnt work after afew weeks im going to give up on them!I have found an improvement with the going out thing and somedays i def feel more positive!So who nos claire there may be hope!
    You should feel proud of your self for improving without meds hun thats just great.I keep hearing about this cpn thing and it sounds promiseing.
    Thanks for the reply you havet made me feel any worse so dont woory hun!xxxx

i ment cbt thing!xx

Bong - I only tolerated them for about 3 weeks! I really was convinced I was going insane and just couldnt stand sticking the treatment out. Personally, I am glad that I came off them because I have made loads of progress without them but then I didnt give them much time to work, did I?! One of the list of many horrible side effects is unwanted and intrusive thoughts though...so try not to read too much into them because they are just side effects. If you have seen an improvement in some areas then maybe they are starting to work now - it's a gradual process. I think it's a waste of time asking yourself what you would be like if you werent on them though - you made a decision to try medication because you thought it was the best thing to do so I wouldnt worry about all the 'what if's' - trust me, thinking like that gets you nowhere, hun! There is definately hope, believe me! Hope you are OK today - Clare. xxx

Thanks claire for thesurport hun!Ive gota sharp shocking pain in my head tonight and im worying again now!I caut wait to up them to see if i improve but i wont entill next week.
    You said you only gave them three weeks,the side affects are worst in the frist three and a half weeks i have found.
    You are write i shouldet worry about all the what ifs!I really hope you are write and there is hope for improvement because at the moment im just worrying.xxxx

Bong - I have heard from people that some SSRI's can give a feeling of like small electric shocks in your head. I had this mildly but when I stopped the drug it went away. Honestly, there really is hope for improvement. I am testament to that! I was in a right state 6 months ago and I'm pretty much back to normal now apart from a few minor probs. My CPN told me when I was on them that they have to reach a 'therapeutic level' (or something like that, I'm no medical expert!) and from what I understood that means that the drug starts to work when it's at a certain dose/level in the brain. Don't take my word for that though because when I was told that I was hysterical in the Doctor's surgery! [:P] So maybe when you up the dose, you might feel better. I know you are worrying hun, but at least you know that this is normal for the treatment. I know it's f*cking horrible - when I was on them I expected a slight raise in my anxiety levels but what I got was ULTRA intense anxiety that just never stopped. Keep on going mate - you're doing alright. Clare. xxx

Thanls claire!You are giving me some sound advise and surport hun.I think i really need at the moment.
    And the pain is just as you described like sudden electric shocks that come and go.What you have said about the drug having to reach therapeutic level makes sense to.
    A couple of weeks ago i felt so much better being on them nowxxx i seem to have gone down hill on them.Maybe i just need to up them next week weather i like it all not and find my balance!!xxxx

Lord knows what happened to my PC just then!

Bong - I'm glad I can offer you some advice, it's always nice to know someone understands. Plus, I've been through the whole citalopram crap so I do actually know what I'm on about where this is concerned! I think that's how it works with most anti-depressants - they make you worse before they make you better. I think you deserve a medal for putting up with it for SEVEN WEEKS!!! OMG!!! I would never have made it that far!!! I reckon your doing the sensible thing sticking with them though - at least then if after a few months you dont think they're for you after all then you can be satisfied that you have tried! Then you can move on to phase two of kicking anxiety's ass! Hope you're feeling OK. Clare. xxx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information