Thread: "Wife Beaters"...caution to abusees

"Wife Beaters"...caution to abusees

Myself, my PTSD was triggered by being in an emotionally, sexually and physically abusive relationship. I am also working on becoming a Child and Youth Counsellor (after getting my Early Childhood Education diploma last year), and in one of my classes I heard about "Wife Beater Tops". So out of curiosity I went to google and found this site.
    I said caution to those who have been abused, because I know that certain things are bad triggers. If you visit this site, it shows the tops with the logo...there is nothing graphic....and the most tasteless thing you would see is a little baby not even a year old wearing a baby outfit saying "Lil Wife Beater".
    BUT.....the guy who makes these has an email address, and an actual address (or two I think).
    I think we as MEN and WOMEN need to take a stand on these shirts, because the issue of abuse is NOT funny at all. It is disgusting, and they should be banned. Any of us who has been abused...knows that it is no laughing matter, and that people in society needs to take the issue of "wife abuse" and "intimate violence" and "woman abuse" VERY seriously...and should tolerate shirts that make abuse seem OK....because it is NOT ok...in any shape or form.
    Visit the site and let your voice be heard!
    Write to your local paper about it...for example a letter to the editor.
    The site is
    http://www.menstuff.org/archives/wifebeater.html

I still can't believe some guy actually made these up.

Omg that site is sickening!!!! Beating up wives is not OK and making T-shirts and merchandise of it is totally wrong! The owner of the website should be arrested!

Scooties Back

Didnt need that on a sunny Bank Holiday Monday! Just sent him a few emails to help him see how sad he looks.- Not indignant ones, thought hed get a kick out of it. Im sorry, I dont see the "meek shall inherit the earth thing" -sometimes its passive thinking that keeps us down. Finally got rid of my nemasis (was going through the courts aswell) when, the last time he sailed up clenched fisted and teethed I told him Id take him with me this time and put my fist thro the ceramic bread container. (Not my usual behaviour, I hasten to add) He ran upstairs and locked himself in the bed room. For the first time, I saw how sad he really was. Wouldnt advise this tactic!- It just happened to work on my little worm. That and a damn good solicitor.(much better idea!) Susan.x

sue

I have just one word for that site - "SICK" !!!!![}]

Sometimes I give myself the creeps, Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me, It all keeps adding up, I think I'm cracking up, Or am I just paranoid ..... Billie Joe Armstrong

Please be aware tho that the number of 'hits' a site gets gives them some standing on the internet. There are places that have lists of the sites who have had the most 'hits' so that others can check out popular ones. By even going to the site even to protest or send emails about how sick it is - you are helping to promote his site.
    Also I take offense to the comment about white sleeveless t shirts * (often worn by American trailer trash!)*
    my husband wears them to work all the time as he works in 100 degree weather in a machine shop. I know that it probably wasn't meant to be mean spirited, I just wanted to bring to your attention that it is a very derogatory phrase to some - myself included.

Sandy
    (eeyorelover)

If the world didn't suck... we'd all fall off

i totally agree about not hitting sites like that - you are only doing what these people want u to do - for anyone who has been in the position of abuse it is the last site i would want to visit.

By researching into sites like that u are only keeping the pain and memories of domestic abuse alive.

No more panic is an anxiety site and threads like this can only trigger off negative feelings - I dont understand how people would think this to be helpful.

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Re: "Wife Beaters"...caution to abusees

Yeah, that is sick.

I too was a victim of abuse and wonder how someone can get away with
    "gloryfing " this subject..you know what,nothing surprises me anymore !

i really hope you girls stay safe!

This thread was originally started almost 3 years ago!
    I would say don't go to the site, period!!
    xxx
    Sandy
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    Lao-Tze

Thread Information