Thread: Im starting to believe in myself!

Smile Im starting to believe in myself!

Hi all, I'm a 39yr old male from the uk. Ive been lookin at this forum and would like to add a bit about myself. I have had anxiety/panic attacks, agoraphobia, depression for around 15 yrs...at its worst i was housebound for 3 yrs. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 yrs ago...i changed my diet and lost 2 stone...i have recently started taking tabs for my diabetes also.
    I have suffered with toothe ache for around 5 yrs..i was feeling so low in myself that i thought i simply could not go thru the treatment required. I spent the last 3 summers up all nite in bed with bags of peas under my jaw...i developed 2 abcesses which i have had for the last 18 mnths...i cannot explain the depression that i have felt constantly in relation to my teeth..i needed 3 extractions and 2 fillings...i tried to go the dentist on several occasions but my anxiety was unbearable...on one occasion last yr...i came out the dentist and was sweating buckets from head to toe!
    To cut a long story short....i went and got a filling..(without aneasthetic)...then i went and got 2 teeth extracted..(with the needle in the gum)!..This was the procedure i feared most!..as my back teeth were broken..it took about 25 minutes to get them out!...after the initial anxiety i felt quite ok...and actually laughed whilst they were trying to loosen my teeth with a crow bar and a pair of pliers!..ha....I cannot believe that i have actually done this...or the ammount of pain and depression ive carried for several yrs!...All my family and friends are also overjoyed with my achievements....i cannot overstate how big a problem this has been to me....all i can say is ive done it and never thought i could...i feel i can gradually take my life back a piece at a time...i also urge anyone who has similar problems to what i have described to believe in yourselves...and take control of your life!.....

Re: Im starting to believe in myself!

Well done!

As one guy who has suffered with depression, agoraphobia, anxiety and been diagnosed as a diabetic in the thick of it, I have some idea of what it took to make that trip to the dentist - actually I have a tooth that really needs to come out and your sharing just may be enough to prompt me to schedule an appointment! Thank you.

What fantastic news! Good on yer!

Thread Information