Thread: I want to beat ibs

I want to beat ibs

Hi
    I have ibs I have had for years I also have coeliac disease so avoiding foods can be a nitemare at the best of times
    Anyway I'm sick and tired of wondering how many times I'll be running to the loo when I wake up I want to be able to take my son out and go for walks etc but when my bellys playing up I daren't in case i get the urgency to go to the loo well I think it's time I fought back!!!
    Can anyone advise of any foods to help I'm going to take probiotics of some sort and I'm also wondering about loperamide
    Any suggestions would be great I am a very anxious person and I do believe I'm my own worst enemy as the more u worry obviously the more it will play up
    Like I said if anyone can help at all

I'm all ears

Thanku xx

Re: I want to beat ibs

wow I have so much sympathy for you having both those awful ailments!
    I went to a dietician about ibs and she said
    a) avoid too much fatty food e.g. you might be able to have quiche and salad with dressing and be fine but if you were to add chips to that it might be too much. I think that's a personal thing and depends on how you are at the time. If your stomach is feeling delicate anyway you probably will be able to tolerate less fat in a meal than if you were having a good day
    b) avoid things that are mechanically hard to digest like nuts, seeds, raw/under cooked veg. So cook your veg well
    If you type 'helpforibs' into google there's a website by a patient expert Heather ?someone? and there's a lot of info there, I take the soluble fibre supplement in the shop and it does help (weather this is maybe a placebo or not I'm not sure but if it works who cares eh?) BUT be warned that they offer a diet to follow that cuts out 'triggers' which are dairy, all meat except chicken, turkey fish and everything too high in fat and if you go onto the forums the people can be a bit neurotic and obsessive about following this diet strictly- I found this a bit risky given my anxiety/ocd tendancies, I now believe that it's important to have a balanced diet which real Doctors recommend rather than following a restrictive diet when it comes to ibs AND of course your diet HAS to be restricted because of cealiac so you'd end up VERY restricted if you start cutting out more food groups.
    c) talk to your Dr about medications there's a few different types of medication and you probably have to try a few to find which one works for you
    I really hope you find something that works!!
    x

Thread Information