Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i dont really know what to say i just need help!

i dont really know what to say i just need help!

I dont know what to do anymore! i need to let this out!!!! i feel terrible at the moment and i cant see it gettin better anytime soon! i cant do anything, every time i try to do something i panic and cant stay somewhere for long. this is getting me so down. i feel so useless im thinkin of quitting college i just cant go! i used to be on seroxat and i dont really want drugs again..but i went to the doctors the other day and its a 6 months wait for counselling![:0] what should i do? what do you do when u panic when ur out?say in a supermarket!
    sorry im jenny by the way!
    xx

Hi Jenny

Dont feel useless man I've experienced the NHS 6 month wait thing and they say things like its not serious to be a priority etc:(

Just take small steps at a time, gradually build up. Is college getting to you stress etc?

Is there anywhere you can go which border line makes you feel panicy and take a book or something to read to distract yourself from being away from your "safe" area?

Take it easy matey and post back here as much as you like as long as it helps

Matt

Hi Jenny

Lots of us have different strategies for coping, some of us use distraction, others just try and let the feelings of panic wash over them. Search through old posts and you'll get a lot of tips. If you haven't read it then try reading Self Help for Your Nerves by Claire Weekes. It is an absolutely brilliant book that explains just what processes your body is going through when you panic and explains to you how to deal with them.

As for the counselling don't give up on it, the NHS waiting lists are horrendous but the sooner you get your name on them the sooner you can get some help. I got myself in a spiral by paying privately for CBT therapy because I felt I couldn't wait. My therapist wasn't very good and so now I'm seeing a second one though not before throwing a lot of money away. I should have just waited for that NHS appointment to come through. I do know have one for counselling though.

CBT is often very good for anxiety and so you could always try and get some books on it and plough on yourself. You don't really need a therapist. I just have one so I've got someone to keep plugging away at me. I tried the books but couldn't discipline myself and more to the point found it hard to believe I had anxiety. I know that Meg (Radar) did it the self taught way and found it very effective

Just remember you're not alone and to keep posting here. We all know how you feel and how pants it can be.

Jules

hi jenny
    dont give in thats the worst thing you can do, your feelings have won then
    we all have endless ways of coping.im not on meds im trying to do it the natural way still have bad days but more often than not now i feel great.ive suffered for 7 years but i do feel im getting better and so will you belive me

P.S i have been known to leave a trolly full of shopping at the till and just walk away shopping can wait me being calm cant
    keep smiling and dont let the feelings drag you down

paul
    the norfolk nutter[)]

no one REMEMBER no one has ever died from having a panic attack.ok troops be carefull out there

Hiya Jen,

Sorry to hear you are having a rough go at the "panic monster" right now.

Please try not to let this get you to down. I know it is hard and easier said than done, but try, try, and try again.

Just keep reminding yourself that it is panic, and nothing that is going to harm you, but make you very uncomfortable instead.

I think once we accept what is going on and stop "FIGHTING" it, it becomes easier to cope with and put in to perspective.

There is a great page on here you should look at, if you have`nt already. It is the "COPING" page.

You will find loads of coping ideas there. I`m sure you will find something that will help you through as well.

Also please remember you are not alone and there are tons of us who go through what you are going through.

We are all here to help you through your toughest times and support you as well.

Please keep posting to let us know how you are getting on.

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

P.S. I do hope you are feeling a bit better today.

Dear Jen,

Interesting that you say ' can't stay somewhere for long'

Make an agreemant with yourself that next time this happens somewhere - you will stay there only an extra 5 mins than you think you can possibly stand - leaning on your trolley, slow deep breaths and internal singing help with rescue remedy.

Think of us all having done this at some time or another too.

If you are still intact then - stay another 5 mins .

You will suprise yourself that you are more resilient than you think you are.

Increase this in increments of small steps.

We're with you all the way for this.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hey
    thank you all so much for replying its great to know ur not alone and you have given me some useful positive tips!
    I'm going to just keep try and try! Its so hard what we go thro and tryin to explain to others is even harder!
    I felt totally at a lose earlier but beginnin to think clearly again.
    Thank you again[:I]
    Jenny x

Hi Jen and welcome,

We've all battled that Panic Monster at sometime or another.

The worst thing you can do is give up.
    Mr Panic loves it when you give up, it gives him free reign to be a total pain.

I gave up for almost 6 months. Didn't eat or drink much, wouldn't go to bed, either didn't sleep or just didn't want to wake up, I wouldn't even go in the bath - Man, did I stink or what!.
    All I gained from it was self loathing and shame, it played havoc with my hair. I lost 4 stone in weight and wouldn't leave my sofa. - I don't want these things to happen to you.

Here is what I use to help me.

I have a list my husband says I have to read and follow.
    On Good days he wants the list followed with bells on it and then some!
    On Bad days when I am really ill, the things on my list are the minimum I should do.

It says things like ... Get up, washed and dressed. No Sitting about in my PJ's all day.
    Take my Medication
    Do a household chore
    Go out and get some fresh air, even if it is just a walk to the end of the driveway.
    Relax for 1 hour, with some music and practice deep breathing.
    Help to plan a meal
    Make an effort to get ready for bed, No sleeping on the sofa !

I found the thing that got me through the most, was little steps.
    "Today we are going to leave the sofa and walk to the end of the driveway, if that feels okay we will walk 2 houses up and come home." The next day the conversation would be exactly the same, but walk 3 or 4 houses up. Eventually you can make it to the end of the road and back again.

What do I do when I panic, if I'm out?

I take some very slow deep breaths, tell myself these feelings will go away soon and to remain calm. Then I use "my just in case" as I call it. - A small back pack I got from a charity shop, filled with goodies I bought cheeply or found lying around the house.

As well as the usual mobile phone (filled with numbers of people who can help in an emergency), keys, and money.
    It contains a "distraction kit."
    A small book to read, a small book (which I customised) to draw, write and colour in, a pen with many colours, and a tiny radio with headphones.
    And a "panic kit."
    Inside my make up bag are things like sticky plasters, valium, stressless, indigestion tablets, decongestant tablets, throat sweets, pain killers, wind ease, tiny mirror, lipstick, cold sore cream, tiny hand cream, a small hair brush, lipsalve and rescue remedy.

So in the event of a panic while I am out of the house, I have a small amount of everything I may need to make me feel well again or to keep me busy in the car - Just incase.
    Oh no I've got indigestion, or a blister what I am going to do? - panic!
    No panic needed everything is in the bag.
    It even has a little "Friend Bear" keyring, so should I need an emergency hug, one is always available.

At home, next to my phone are other lists, giving logical explainations of panic symptoms, reminding me what to do if I start to panic and telling me positive things.

Don't worry, you are not alone.
    Please don't give up.

Love, light and Best wishes
    Liz xxx

[] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

Liz,

Great post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What great ideas.

I love the list idea. How sweet of your hubby to work with you daily on things to do and not do.

I really do need to put an "EMERGENCY" kit together for myself as well.

Thanks for the motivation. :-D

Take care,

Diana xxxx

P.S. Jenny so glad that you are feeling a bit more positive now and so glad that the posts have helped a bit too. :-D

Full of bright ideas me - lol

If colouring in is good enough for Johnny Depp it is good enough for me.
    At least drawing little pictures in a small book kept me out of mischief for a few hours.

You know Steve and his "Daily Punishment" - he likes to make sure I don't forget to get well.

Love, light and Best wishes
    Liz xxx

[] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information