Thread: panic attacks n the fear of dying

panic attacks n the fear of dying

can anyone out there give me some advice on coping with panic attacks n the fear of dying brought on by them.
    I have tried going to the docs but the tablets never worked, there must be something out there thast can help me lead a normal life, and get rid of all these panic thoughts in my brain.

Yours
    Antony

hi Antony
    Just wanted you to know I am going through similar to you at the moment. I seem to have this really morbid fear of death and panic over every ache and pain and convince myself I'm going to die! Keep going to the doctors it has took me about 4 yrs of different doctors and now finally I have a doctor who seems to understand and gives me the time of day. Also give medication a chance some take ages to get working. I find this website is a life saver when you're are feeling panicked it's great to know you aren't alone. Please pm me if you want to chat I really mean it.
    Take care Caroline

have you ever read claire weekes books on the effect of nervous illness on the body. she describes our panic and anxiety symptoms expertly and reassures us every step of the way.

you can get the book from the site below

Reading for sufferers of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD.

jackie

Hi Antony

Try these too:

Coping/symptoms
    Strategies for coping
    Some of my symptoms and explinations.
    very strange panic attack symptoms
    Actute Anxiety,given ZISPIN ???? HELP
    bowels
    Since the dentist
    You can overcome this!
    What to Say when you Talk to Yourself!
    THE FINAL STEP TO RECOVERY

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Hi Anthony

I suffer from this in a real big way, it has resulted in numerous trips to A&E, Me telling family I am due to die any second and has taken over many a Day and a Night for me, it is truly an awul feeling and really feel for you, In my opinion (wish I could take my own advise!!) the way to deal with this is to truly understand your anxiety and panic attacks, have a full check up with your doctor so you know deep down you have no physical illness and work hard on your thoughts, after all this "feeling" of dying is just a thought, It will not happen to you (I am living proof of that! - I have "died" a million times and am still here to tell the tale), when these attacks happen (I know its hard) you need to be firm with yourself and say,ok I may feel awful but this is down to my anxiety, no one as died from this and neither will I (I know no one has died as I have googled "Death from Anxiety" a thousand times)

Sorry to go on but this is something so close to my heart and hate anyone to have to go through this, as I say I promise you, you will not die from this, it is just a thought, and you can with hard work controll these thoughts, I am still fighting this myself and please if I can help you feel free to pm me,

Good luck, you will beat it!

Wendy xx

I get this horrid fear all the time. Been to a&e twice this month alone. CBT. That's the key- retraining your thoughts

Shiv x

Hi i have had 4 visits to my cbt and this is what ive learnt so far....

activating event = shops ?
    thoughts= i cant cope,i will pass out (this is your beliefs)
    mood= anxiety or panic
    physical = chest pains,cant breath,shakey,dizzy
    behavioural = I cant go shopping again

so now we need to retrain the brain, we need to change our beliefs.

Remember,

activating event = thoughts = mood=physical=behavioural.

So really it is just a thought thats causing so much trouble, i find i dont even know what my thought is, this is what im trying to work out ?

mirryx

i get this a lot too, and have varying measuresof success in dealing with it. been to a&e twice since my anxiety popped its ugly little head up (october)
    havent tried cbt yet, but the thing i tend to find that works is distraction. even if its just getting on the web, maybe this site, have a read of things, realise you;re not alone in this and that we all come out of the other side at some point
    i would recommned a good sitdown with your doctor to make sure everything is ok, and after that, use that as reassurance whe your brain goes "off book".
    good luck D [8D]

Thread Information