Thread: Advice needed quickly pretty please

Advice needed quickly pretty please

Hi
    Can anyone tell me if it's ok to cook fresh chicken 2 hours past the time? I opened fresh quick cook chicken breasts from Sainsburys yesterday at 5pm & only used 2 out the 4, it says once opened use within 24 hours. Kept in fridge obviously. But I didn't cook the last couple of bits until 7pm tonight.
    How risky is it 26 hours?
    Son & daughter had them earlier, daughter is fine but son says he has slight tummy pains. Maybe not connected? Hope not anyway!
    I haven't mentioned the chicken to him. He has a first date tomorrow so I hope he's not ill!!

Re: Advice needed quickly pretty please

I would say it is absolutely fine to be honest

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Do you think?
    I over cooked it if anything too, like I do everything. Paranoia about food poisoning in the past lol. Not so bad these days, I will at least eat in restaurants now, certain things anyway.
    Just got concerned when he said about 'indigestion' he called it. Maybe just nervous about the date.

As long as the chicken was kept in the fridge it will be fine.

Thank you, has put my mind at rest. I was thinking the 24 hours they say is being on the safe side? Maybe it would still be ok a day & half. I did buy some normal chicken breasts from Tesco the other week & those say to use immediately, so not sure what the difference was there. xxx

Unless food fails the sniff test (as did my £7 steak from Tesco the other night... d'oh!) food is fine past its sell by date. My Aunt worked for 20 odd years for Morrisons and lived off of food 4 days past its sell by date! Apparently, that is there more for a legal disclaimer than an actual date.

Quote Originally Posted by somethingwitty View Post
    Unless food fails the sniff test (as did my £7 steak from Tesco the other night... d'oh!) food is fine past its sell by date. My Aunt worked for 20 odd years for Morrisons and lived off of food 4 days past its sell by date! Apparently, that is there more for a legal disclaimer than an actual date.
    Well that is handy to know thank you for that. All was fine, he went off to his date this morning & had a great time. 2 & a half hours sleep later I went to work at 5 this morning, & now remember how crazy this health anxiety really is! Even when it's not worrying about your own self. x

Crikey! I've always been a firm believer in use by dates. Cinderella food (that 'goes off at midnight'!) But, I have to say that I always use half the chicken breasts in a pack and keep the other half in the fridge for up to 48 hours! After that I'd chuck them, but I never read the packet instructions saying 24 hours! Oh dear! Well, at least i've never had a problem so far, but I suspect I'll be revising my timescales based on this! s

Thread Information