Thread: Cipralex Dose Reduction

Cipralex Dose Reduction

Hello Friends,

Apologies if this has already been posted.

I have recently reduced my dose of 10mg Cipralex daily to 5mg daily. After 2 weeks on the lower dose I have been doing well in terms of my anxiety, but a real problem for me at the moment is I am feeling very low and tearful.

Since my breakdown after bad depression years ago, I have had my moments of feeling down, but nothing I couldn't handle, but I now feel very low. I didn't get out of bed on Friday, not even to wash or dress which is how I was when I was very depressed.

I do have some worry in my relationship at the moment which is colouring things I think, but my question is, is this par for the course with dose reduction? I have read that there are reduction side effects before you stabilise again, but just wondered if anyone had experienced something similar?

I am very, very determined that I will stay on 5mg and really don't want to increase it again if I can help it.

xxxxxxx

Re: Cipralex Dose Reduction

Hi Debs,

Unfortunately there is no real way to know what is causing the low period for you. The decrease can be the reason (or part of it) you also mentioned that your relationship is causing some worry....and you may be putting some stress on yourself about the dosage of the medication as well.

In most cases it is best to use these meds as a short term help to getting you back on track, helping you build up the confidence, methods and habits of getting yourself out of the rut on anxiety and depression. BUT for some it may be the fix for them, this is not weakness nor is it dependence, much like a diabetic needs insulin some poeple may require these meds for their lifetime or until they can find an alternative solution. The reason I am saying this is because I don't want you to get hung up on the dose of the meds you are on (not saying increase or decrease) just accept whatever dosage helps you, continue on with getting better and then try to reduce the dose if that is your goal...

One of the most difficult things people have trouble with is being kind to themselves and accepting who they are. We worry too much about what other people think about us, when in reality most people are themselves hung up on worrying about other people's opinion too!

I struggle with this too...(don't let me fool you in believing I am perfect or all knowing because I am not, and I am working on getting through similar stuff you are experiencing...)

Give the decrease a few more weeks, if not seeing the benefit then talk to your doctor...

Things to try:
    1. Exercise (least a 1/2 hour: walk, cycling, swimming...etc) at three times week
    2. Eating good foods, things that are not all sugary or fatty...just a well balanced diet (I am still working on this one!)
    3. Finding a daily ritual to help you relax (meditation, soft music, reading, baths, etc)
    4. Talk therapy (whining complaining maoning) to someone who is empathethic for at least thrity minutes a week. A good friend or relative, some one you trust.

I really hope this helps, hang in there.

take care

Hi Anxious-in-Canada,

Thanks for your kind reply. You ring a lot of bells for me in your answer. I have always fought my medication, but at the same time it has been a Godsend. I have however tried several times to come off it altogether and not succeeded. The last time I relapsed with panic attacks I told myself that is it for me, if I need the meds, I need them and resolved to treat it like anyone else who needs meds for an illness, like you say with insulin.

The problem for me is also that since being on the meds on and off for 7 years, I have gained some weight ( but not dietary induced) and have felt very sluggish with it. Because I have been doing so well I wanted to try this time to at least reduce it, but not think of coming off it without a good long period of reduction. Hence, the position I am in now.

You have given me such great advice, and I will give it time I think, trying the things you mention.

Thanks so much for your help and best wishes to you.xxx

Hi debs,

I do hope you find some resolution soon. It is tough, and I feel like I am alone with this struggle sometime. I am not sure if this "shame" or part of the condition...but I do find when I can talk it out I do feel better.

Posting here helps, and talking to a couple of people I really trsut helps as well. They give me the support I need by just listening to me...

I know the struggle with weight, I could certaintly lose a few pounds myself. Feeling sluggish is a concern too, but if you can keep active and exercising to some extent the sluggishness might subside some...it is a battle isn't it...

Be happy with yourself though, weight is not a completely bad thing as long as your active. Appearance wise, someone who is happy looks so much better than someone who is thin and unhappy. I think the importance is around being happy and healthy whether you have a few extra pounds doesn't really matter.

I am preaching....sorry. I just don't want you to be too hard on your yourself. Remember be kind to yourself!

take care

Hi Debs

Sorry but I have to agree about the part of not getting too hung up on what dosage you need to take. At the end of the day (it will be night - as my husband says!)... sorry bad joke - you need to be happy with what you are taking and how you are feeling. Whether thats 5mgs, 10mgs 20 mgs or none at all. Whatever makes you well!

See how it goes, take AIC advice with exercise (I try and walk 45 - 60 mins a day) and take advice from your doc.

Good luck and hope it works out for you x

Thread Information