Thread: Agoraphobia/Depression. New GP woes.

Unhappy Agoraphobia/Depression. New GP woes.

Just some background info to start with. I have suffered from agoraphobia and depression for a number of years, the depression has been quite managable, but the agoraphobia hasn't. I haven't been able to visit a GP for years, but my old pracitice were fantastic in that they either visited me at home or talked to me over the phone.

A few months ago I had to move a short distance to another area (which was very hard, but I just about managed).

The problem now is that my new local practice insist that I have to attent a routine medical at the practice before a doctor can prescribe any more medication or even see me at all.

No amount of reason will convince these people that I simply cannot attend a medical examination outside my home (I have tried to attend and failed dozens of times since moving), and they refuse to send anyone out to do it.

It's almost as though they think that agoraphobia is something I can switch off for an hour or so while I attend the medical, and the statement "If I could get to the medical, I wouldn't need the doctor" just seemed to cause some amusement.

My medication is running very low and prospect of running out is only making me even more depressed.

I know I could kick-start a complaint against them, but before I go down that road any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike.

Re: Agoraphobia/Depression. New GP woes.

Hello Mike

You have probably already thought of this, but does your old practice cover your new area? Even if the new surgery is nearer, often catchment areas overlap greatly. If you were able to go back to your old practice it would solve the problem. Failing that, you could write and ask your old surgery if they would keep you on as a special case if you are not too far out of their area. They are able to do that if they want to, but it's entirely up to them. They do sound like a more reasonable practice though.

Tyke

Hi Mike

Who have you spoken to at your new practice so far? If you are just ringing up and speaking to the receptionists, you're not likely to get anywhere as they will just say the same thing over and over. I would try speaking directly to the practice manager if you can or even better, write a letter to them explaining your situation. I too would not go down the complaint route just yet.

I hope this helps you.

Laura x

I was able to stay with my original doctor even though they are at the other side of town, infact changing to a new one was going to be a bigger pain as I'm on Lithuim and my doc would have to take me off it and the new one decide how they would treat me.
    I haven't seen my doc in 5 years, I get a nurse to do the blood tests every 3 month, luckily I've never had issues with the drug
    I can relate to what your saying, the staff at my docs can't grasp the fact I can't just turn it off and drop by, usually for me the nurse goes to the wrong house (easily done were I live) and I get accused of being out and wasting their time

Thanks for the replies so far.

I would like to have stayed with my old GP, but alas even though I only moved a relatively short distance, it's just too far for them to keep me "on the books".

I haven't managed to get past the receptionist yet, but I will persevere and try to speak to someone higher up. If that fails, then i'll write a letter to the practice manager.

Mike, I registered specially to answer your question!

What I'd do if I were you is contact your previous doctor and ask him/her if they would get in touch with your new practice and explain that you're unable to go to the practice and thus need a home visit. I think something said by a doctor will make them take your problem seriously, instead of just brushing it aside as of no importance. I know when I was ill with agoraphobia I always dreaded having to go to the doctor and couldn't have done it at all without my husband by my side. Even then, I sometimes cancelled appointments when I just couldn't face leaving the house.

Hopefully it'll get sorted out and you'll get a home visit.

The good news is that a Doctor has finally agreed to a home visit, though I did have to resort to statements like "so you are refusing to treat me because I have a mental disability", and "what if something happens to me because I ran out of medication, are you going to take responsibility?"

Not very dignified, and not a great way to start a GP/patient relationship, but at least it worked.

Hi Mike

Sorry to hear the GP wasn't more understanding. Hopefully once they meet you, they will begin to get a better idea of your problems (not that that's any excuse for their treatment of you so far).

Take care

Laura x

I had this problem the other day. The young receptionist refused me a call back from my doctor who as i add is monitoring my medications fortnightly. My doctor has done this for me lots of times and hes always go time for mental health patients like myself. The fault generally lies with the reception staff that have not been properly informed sometimes its the doctors but very rare. Gald you got it sorted thoughx

Thread Information