Thread: Is this IBS? Panicking please!!!

Is this IBS? Panicking please!!!

Hi

Following on from a minor stomach bug a few weeks ago, I have had a big flare-up of unwanted IBS symptoms. I haven't had a bout for about a year now and I am so fed up: I have almost constant abdominal pain (low down, mid and upper at different times). It feels crampy and bloated. I have wind, gurgling stomach and a pressure type thing low down in my bowels which makes me think that I always need the loo (feeling of incomplete BM). I also have some indigestion pain round my ribs.

I don't have any really sinister symptoms: I average 3 BMs per day and always have and now that the bug has gone, they are mostly normal (although I have the heavy tummy feeling of constipation!). I have no bleeding either. I did panic earlier this week as I was having very dark, almost black stools until I remembered I have been taking 6 charcol capsules a day! I rarely get woken up with the pain at night either.

During past flare-ups I have had a colonoscopy, barium x-ray, abdo ultrasound, blood tests, urine tests and stool tests. All were fine.

I am sure that this is just IBS but I do worry as they are also some symptoms of cancer!! My doctor felt my tummy last week and said just to give it time.

I hate this!! I am going on holiday in just over a week and I feel rubbish for most of the day. My worst symptoms are the pain and rectal pressure. Does anyone else have similar symptoms or can recommend anything? Please!!!

Re: Is this IBS? Panicking please!!!

Join the club its horrid isn't it.

Yes and the symptoms are worrying too. Do you have the pressure thing and abdo pain? That is what is cocerning me the most

Yes I get both those. Also always feels like I need to pass wind but can't.. Gettin a colonoscopy soon hope to god it's all ok..

Lele x

Hi Jo
    Maybe your tummy bug wiped out a lot of your good bacteria so a probiotic supplement might help.
    I was diagnosed with IBS in 2004 after a barium enema and blood test for coeliac disease. I've tried loads of things - colonics, gluten free diet, dairy free diet, precription drugs, peppermint capsules etc. It took a lot of trial and error but I've pretty much found what I can and can't eat although I do still have a few bad days.
    I used to have the pain you describe and used to have to grab hold of something and do the breathing exercises I had been taught at my antenatal classes. Also used to feel I desperately needed the toilet yet when I got there I couldn't go.
    I mainly control the IBS with a careful diet but when it gets bad, maybe before my period, then I take co-ton A 00 capsules. I got them from the colonic hydrotherapist and they say to be taken on the advice of a practitioner or pharmacist. If your GP or pharmacist says it's ok for you to take them you can get them online.
    Hope you feel a bit better soon and you enjoy your holiday

yes i do and get rumbling tummy and wind and burp alot.

Horrible isn't it?

One of the many good things about this site is that we can look back and see previous posts. I wrote of exactly the same symptoms in May 2009 and November/December 2009 so I have had about 18 months free of IBS symptoms (plenty of other ones though!!). I just have to keep thinking that it did eventually go those times and it will this time too, hopefully!!!

Thread Information