Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is weight gain inevitable with mirtazapine?

Re: is weight gain inevitable with mirtazapine?

Hi BB,

I did put weight on but I find it very hard to lose weight and it is coming off now....I was over-weight to begin with so it was even more of a concern but to be honest and open I would much rather of being a great big lump then feel the way I did!!!

I have lost most of what I gained when starting mirt and now I am tackling the rest!!! Lol!! Trouble is I love my food so much!!!

We will get there.

JO.xx

I have lost nearly 2 stone in the last 5 weeks whilst taking Mirtazapine. My GP told me that if I had regular exercise and a good diet, not only would I keep my weight down/lose weight but it would also benefit my depression and anxiety.

I was already overweight when I changed from Paroxetine to Mirtazapine and thought that it was time to get myself in shape. I am nearly 6 weeks into the diet and feel fantastic. I've just come back from a 5 mile walk, this is something I do every day now as well as eat healthily and always drink at least 2 litres of water every day.

Thanks for the feedback guys - no pun intended

Monostitch well done with your weight-loss!! I hope you have continued success with this med.

I stopped taking the Mirtz on Monday and I really don't know if I will re-start again. I only put on 2lbs during the week I was on it, which is no big deal unless the weight starts to go up incrementally by the week. But as I mentioned before this increase was despite watching what I ate and exercising more. But that aside I felt bloated and my clothes felt quite tight.
    My skin was awful whilst on it - and folks commented that I did not look well at all.

My quite minor experience was that at 7.5mg it knocked me out and I fell asleep within half an hour. At 15mg it was less sedating and I didn't hit the sleep wall for one and a half to two hours after taking it. But at 15mg the munchies kicked in big time, but I managed to ignore them or just snack on something healthy. I thought the munchie thing might be a bit of folk-lore that's been generated about the med and thought it wouldn't happen to me ha ha. However I fully accept that not everyone gets this - just most everyone.

Anyway, bottom line is that I knew all this before I started and made an informed choice. Although anxiety/depression are dreadful I'm not sure at this point whether the side effects of this med are worth it. Will let ya'll know if I re-start it.

BB xx

Thanks Belle.

I have noticed quite a lot at this forum that people give up on a medication just 1 or 2 weeks in. You can't expect to see any changes until the 5th or 6th week on these types of drugs.

Believe me, I've tried them all!

Hi Monostitch,

I quite agree that I myself didn't give it a fair trial and that folks in general give up too easily with these meds.

The two things for me were - I felt intuitively that I would pack on the pounds and I know this would cause me a degree of self loathing. I'm not skinny and I love my food and refuse at the grand old age of 59 to succumb to some stereotype of what I "ought" to look like - so I'm not particularly vain. But for all of my life I've gone around in a light body - I don't know if you can understand that. Anytime I've put on some excess weight I've hated the feeling of heaviness that the weight brings with it.

The other thing was that I didn't like the feeling of being "put to sleep" by it. I know this gets better as times goes on - but the sedation factor remains. I feel I would rather take something in the morning/daytime and fall asleep naturally at night. For me it had something of a chemical cosh about it - which made me uneasy. I'm not sure the trade off for me would be worth it in the long run.

I'm quite willing to believe that my thoughts on this med have gone a little out of perspective and I've just scared myself off it - and I may feel different in a few days time. You know what they say "don't believe everything you think".

Take care now.

BB xx

Quote Originally Posted by Belleblue View Post
    Hi Monostitch,

I quite agree that I myself didn't give it a fair trial and that folks in general give up too easily with these meds.

The two things for me were - I felt intuitively that I would pack on the pounds and I know this would cause me a degree of self loathing. I'm not skinny and I love my food and refuse at the grand old age of 59 to succumb to some stereotype of what I "ought" to look like - so I'm not particularly vain. But for all of my life I've gone around in a light body - I don't know if you can understand that. Anytime I've put on some excess weight I've hated the feeling of heaviness that the weight brings with it.

The other thing was that I didn't like the feeling of being "put to sleep" by it. I know this gets better as times goes on - but the sedation factor remains. I feel I would rather take something in the morning/daytime and fall asleep naturally at night. For me it had something of a chemical cosh about it - which made me uneasy. I'm not sure the trade off for me would be worth it in the long run.

I'm quite willing to believe that my thoughts on this med have gone a little out of perspective and I've just scared myself off it - and I may feel different in a few days time. You know what they say "don't believe everything you think".

Take care now.

BB xx
    You make some good points Bella, especially in regards to the "chemical cosh" which relates to the drug "putting you to sleep".

For me it's a God send because I have relied on alcohol for many years to be able to sleep. So a little "push" is perfect for me but not others.

I agree about the weight thing too, I always feel so much better when I'm slimmer. When I was at my biggest I hated going into town in case I bumped into anyone that I knew - it made me feel so insecure.

I would say no. I was also I little worried about putting on a weight, as I'm already a little flabby. Been taking it for a few weeks now and have actually lost weight. I found this difficult previously, as I didn't pay huge attention to calorie intake. I'd try monitoring your weight everyday for the first month and if it starts going up, reduce your calorie intake. Probably easier to take control early, than to try and shift 2st or whatever, that's crept up on you over a month. I was citalopram previously and that probably caused me to gain a little. That or the red wine and cake that I seem to quite enjoy smashing in everyone's different though I guess. I didn't find it made me lethargic or want to eat anymore than usual. Infact I feel I have more energy after switching from citalopram

Been on 30mg mirtazapine two years for insomnia, and never had any side effects, never even gained 1 pound. I am really lucky when it comes to meds. I am going to get off mirtazapine now as it is doing nothing for my insomnia now. I suspect I am not going to have any withdrawal symptoms because of my luck with meds. I will see.

I know with these type of drugs, one of the side effects is weigh gain. I know of at least 5 people this has happened to. I don't know the reason. Does anyone know why it happens?

I started mirtazapine some years ago and steadily gained weight - just a few pounds per year, but it added up. Even though I was taking mirtazapine, I was still anxious, and food was a "comfort medication".

Since I've been taking pregabalin as well, the anxiety is mostly gone, and I've been able to tackle the weight issue. It does take some effort, but I have been able to lose around 10 kg (about 22 lb) and keep it off. At the moment my weight is stable, but if I feel confident enough I will have another go at losing some more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information