Thread: Question!

Question!

Hi all,

I have been taken 10mg Citalopram since 18th April. I had been on here so knew what side effects to expect, how long for roughly etc.

Anyway, whilst they did help for a while, I seem to be getting the anxiety back, with all the symptoms, and also the low mood / depression seems to be returning. The reason for the anxiety is due to a build up of sexual performance anxiety with my long term girlfriend. It's getting me so worked up that as described above, has left me with mild depression!

As you can imagine, I'm going round in circles due to:-

1. If I am this anxious, how can I resolve the sexual anxiety?
    2. Do you think it's worth increasing my dose of Cit? Should I put sex on hold so to speak until my depression clears? (thus not curing the underlying reason for the anxiety)
    3. Will the increased dose reduce my ability to 'perform'? (although, I didn't notice any ill effects when I was going through my 'good period')
    4. I aware of how SSRI's work, so what does a higher dose actually achieve?

Many questions! Please give me some advice as my head (and body) is twisting itself in and out at the moment!! Feel free to PM if necessary.

Cheers

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Question!

Will try to answer your Qs:

1. If I am this anxious, how can I resolve the sexual anxiety?

It's catch-22 I'm afraid. You just have to concentrate on reducing your general anxiety levels and depression first.

2. Do you think it's worth increasing my dose of Cit? Should I put sex on hold so to speak until my depression clears? (thus not curing the underlying reason for the anxiety)

10mg is a low dose and won't cut it for most people. Try to get yourself back on track before putting yourself under any further (avoidable) pressure.

3. Will the increased dose reduce my ability to 'perform'? (although, I didn't notice any ill effects when I was going through my 'good period')

It may do for a while but as your mood improves you'll begin to feel more confident. Sexual side effects do have a tendency to linger but won't last forever. I'm on a similar SSRI and my libido came back with a vengeance! Ability to orgasm also improves and can be an asset for us men. Obviously this can lead to erectile dysfunction at first, but I think it's psychological rather than physical in nature.

4. I aware of how SSRI's work, so what does a higher dose actually achieve?

More available serotonin I guess. 10mg is not considered a therapeutic dose. You're better off taking a dose that helps or nothing at all imo.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Re: Question!

Many thanks for your response? Can anbody else post their views too?

Also, forgot to add I am undergoing a course of CBT. Only had 1 session so far. Would you see how CBT pans out before upping the dose, or do it now regardless?

Thread Information